* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: When pokemon faint..?  (Read 11577 times)

Offline Quote

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
When pokemon faint..?
« on: March 16, 2010, 12:24:13 PM »
When pokemon "die" in other pokemon games they "faint"
That makes no sense to me. Why don't you just....well capture it? It's passed out. Shouldn't you be able to capture it? Yet you just walk away ignoring it.

So I have 2 ideas that could be added to make this more logical
A.) Make it to where instead of "Fainting" they "Flee in extreme terror" or something.

Or...

B.) Make it to where when a pokemon loses all of its health they pass out. It asks you:
Would you like to attempt a capture? (Y/N)
If you say N you get the exp, as normal, and go on your merry way.
If you say Y...
It goes into your pokeball inventory.

You attempt a capture. If it fails the pokemon gains back a certain amount of health %.
Everytime you make it faint the % of capture increases and the amount of health recover decreases. This all depends on the rarity and power of the pokemon too; however, if you make a pokemon pass out 3x in a row it will begin getting enraged and getting buffs.
0-3 No buffs
3-4 Grants self x1 of all stats
5 x2
6 x3
7 (Max out)

Yet this doesn't mean the pokemon will be gaining more health back. It's going into a crisis state, but it's not gaining back its stamina. This way repeated failures total into it getting stronger. That way you can't just one shot, attempt, one shot, attempt, one shot, attempt.

This also means thought that the rate of health regained and rate of percent will decrease and increase respectively with each faint attempt. Because charging at you with all of it's might takes a toll as well.

Optional:
I also think if you capture it successfully the amount of failures gives you a more pecent of exp when you catch. Say if you fail 7 times you'd probably get at least 50% exp boost along with the capture.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 12:26:18 PM by Quote »

Offline baralai15

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
Re: When pokemon faint..?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 12:53:02 PM »
I like your idea but in my personally opinion i think its too much really. This game is trying to be like the game boy series right? Plus having to click an option after every battle can be a pain and idk it may just take too much time to do but that's only my opinion.

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 01:53:32 PM »
I think that this feature will make catching pokemon way too easy. The tough way round is to keep the pokemon you want to catch with minimum HP. That isn't always easy if you have played to GBA/DS games.

With the legendaries (I'll also say that legendaries will not be catchable in PU just in case), you had to keep trying. That is the difficulty. The more you try, the more PP the pokemon is using, until it uses struggle and faints itself.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline chainedheart

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 01:58:12 PM »
Well to me I like the idea if u where to go through with it but i like it better the way it is bc if u could capture it bc it faints then i really think everyone would have any pokemon bc all they would have to do is to KO it, The fun with the pokemon games was weekening down the pokemon then taking ur swing with a pokeball at it, lol man i use to hate when it would be poisened or an unexpected crit XD but i guess if i does turn out u use this idea then i guess the way ur going about it ant bad. :D

Offline Quote

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 04:03:03 PM »
Plus having to click an option after every battle can be a pain

That did cross my mind too...

I think that this feature will make catching pokemon way too easy. The tough way round is to keep the pokemon you want to catch with minimum HP. That isn't always easy if you have played to GBA/DS games.

With the legendaries (I'll also say that legendaries will not be catchable in PU just in case), you had to keep trying. That is the difficulty. The more you try, the more PP the pokemon is using, until it uses struggle and faints itself.
False swipe and pokemon who were either
A.) Underlevel
B.) Had attacks that the pokemon you wanted resisted
C.) Both

Made hurting it to lowwww hp without killing much easier.

Besides. have you seen a pokemon have maxed out agility, maxed out attack, maxed out defence, and attack you? I think, if anything, that would be harder than walling a pokemon that has super low hp, occasionally throwing out a sleep or just throw out a paralyze attack, and chucking pokeballs until your arms numb.
I mean even before that you have to still attack it more and more.
If it's passed out, you attempt a catch, and it fails he will gain back health. The health regained is approximate to how many failures. First failure is most health regain, then less, then less, then less but buff, then less and same buffs, then less but bigger buffs, and so on until it's like fighting a pokemon who just did agility to max, harden to max, sword dance / calm mind to max, and whatever I can't think of and wailing on you with 5 hp. You may think "wow 5hp is nothing!" but many pokemon with that kind of set up can kill an entire group without getting hit even once.
That, my friend, sounds more like a challenge.

I think this is much more realistic and much more logical.

I mean sure it's something entirely different, which probably most people don't like, but like I said this was simply an idea.
You could always go with idea A.

A.) Make it to where instead of "Fainting" they "Flee in extreme terror" or something.

Well to me I like the idea if u where to go through with it but i like it better the way it is bc if u could capture it bc it faints then i really think everyone would have any pokemon bc all they would have to do is to KO it, The fun with the pokemon games was weekening down the pokemon then taking ur swing with a pokeball at it, lol man i use to hate when it would be poisened or an unexpected crit XD but i guess if i does turn out u use this idea then i guess the way ur going about it ant bad. :D
I agree, but maybe you didn't fully read it all.
It seems to me, or at least to what I understand from your post, you think it can be caught 100% if it's passed out and you catch.
Just because it fainted doesn't mean you have 100% catch rate. It can break free, and it will gain back some health so you have to re-do damage.
Fail enough times and you have to deal with it being buffed in rage.

Offline mightygamer2

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 04:05:23 PM »
i see both sides of the story here. i mean realistically, we're not going to let go of a pokemon that faints...

but like they said it's way too easy if we allow what you said. i think that we should just let the game play be like the nintendo creators made it in this instance...

Offline Taze

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 08:52:31 PM »
It seems like a good idea but in the end it's just going to complicate things.  And as people have said, it would be a pain to have to click the option at the end of every battle, and it's just not what the original game designers intended. I think that they said it fainted instead of died because death would be to violent, and it would mean your pokemon couldn't be revived. 

Offline Phosphorous

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 01:47:51 AM »

i think that we should just let the game play be like the nintendo creators made it in this instance...

too bad this game is gonna be better than the nintendo creators made it. ;P

Offline stephenkill2

• Mapper
  • Normal Trainer
  • Steve Noth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 02:08:27 AM »

i think that we should just let the game play be like the nintendo creators made it in this instance...

too bad this game is gonna be better than the nintendo creators made it. ;P

QFT.

Offline Romeslayer

• New Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 03:05:41 AM »
There have been alot of educated solutions and i know that mine isnt better but i came up that the Creators could use the faint, attempt,faint, attempt,etc. for only really rare but it would still be extremly hard to catch using this and/or only for legendaries because pointed out by Jerry that well all used save and then try again if we run out of pokeballs or the legendary faints so we could only have it in place for the Legendaries.... Sorry if in other forums it says anything about Legendaries arn't availble for capture.

Offline chaosdestroyer

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 07:36:23 PM »
i think this would be to much work just to get one pokemon
people who live in the past never see whats right in front of them

Offline darion101

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 03:56:32 AM »
I don't believe they should constantly faint and you have the ability to catch them when they are fainted, but just have them run away when their hp reaches 0.. of course going along with the "Flee in extreme terror" that Quote suggested.

Offline rarrl

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 09:15:24 PM »
Seems logical that you should be able to catch it when it faints, but as everyone else is saying here, it makes the game just to easy.

Offline wiggums

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 10:12:40 PM »
Your basing your whole changing of the battle system because of that????

Halo, Mario, Hell even pokemon are VERY unrealistic, and even illogical at some points, but that doesn't matter! It's the enjoyability of the game that matters.

Offline baralai15

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 10:34:12 PM »
Your basing your whole changing of the battle system because of that????

Halo, Mario, Hell even pokemon are VERY unrealistic, and even illogical at some points, but that doesn't matter! It's the enjoyability of the game that matters.

True, PU team isnt trying to make it realistic, they are just trying to make it the most enjoyable pokemon game out there.