* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Quest Grading System (Post Quests Here)  (Read 10308 times)

Offline Mr Pokemon

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • I'm not dead.
    • View Profile
Quest Grading System (Post Quests Here)
« on: May 05, 2010, 09:21:13 PM »
     I used the search bar, and found nothing like this, and decided to make it. Basically, I've made a rubric to grade quests on, and give feedback on what you should improve. This is mainly so that people don't make garbage quests, and so that they won't get responses like "It sucks" or "TERRIBLE!!" These don't tell you anything at all! You must know what you need to improve on before you go off writing new ones. I designed this rubric based on previous rubrics I have seen, but feel free to tell me if I need to change or add anything to it.

Be sure to read spirit's guide to writing quests before posting any here. Anyone can grade them, just be serious about it, and give them feedback in a non-insulting way. (Remember, you want people to write more quests)

Anyways, here is the rubric (3s are in between a 4 and a 2, a 1 is in between a 2 and 0):

Understandable:
4-The quest is easily understood and makes sense
2-The quest is mostly understood and makes sense for the most part
0-The quest cannot be understood and does not make sense

Edited: Storyline
4-The quest maintains a steady, easy to follow storyline
2-The quest mainly maintains a steady storyline, but is somewhat jumpy and hard to follow
0-The quest does not maintain a steady storyline and is very jumpy and can't be followed

Ideas:
4-The ideas in the quest are original and interesting
2-The ideas in the quest are mostly original and somewhat interesting
0-The ideas in the quest are not original and not interesting

Length:
4-The quest is neither very long or very short, keeps player entertained without boring them
2-The quest is a little too long or short, may bore the player somewhat but for the most part is an okay length
0-The quest is very long or short, and player is bored

Practicality:
4-The quest is practical, and the story is reasonable
2-The quest is somewhat practical, and the story is mostly reasonable
0-The quest is not practical, the story is not reasonable

EDIT:
Lesser Criteria:

Details
2-The quest has enough details to be interesting, yet not too many to be confusing or too little to be boring.
1-The quest has either a little too many details or too little.
0-The quest has either way too many jumbled details or nearly no details

Reward:
2-The reward for the quest is a good representation of the difficulty of the quest
1-The reward for the quest is either not enough to get people to do the quest or too good for the quest's difficulty
0-The reward is not incorporated, not at all realistic, or not incorporated in PU (i.e. a legendary Pokemon)

Copy this for grading quests (Write score for each criteria after the dash)
Understandable-
Storyline-
Ideas-
Length-
Practicality-
Details-
Reward-
Total-__/24
Feedback (How to improve)-
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 11:58:07 AM by Mr Pokemon »

Offline spirit

• pikaNYA~
  • Administrator
  • Normal Trainer
  • nyannyannyannyannyan
    • View Profile
Re: Quest Grading System (Post Quests Here)
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 09:56:55 PM »
My name is spirit, and I approve this message!

also:
(3s are in between a 4 and a 2, a 1 is in between a 2 and 0)
best...line...ever!

Offline Mr Pokemon

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • I'm not dead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 10:35:55 PM »
My name is spirit, and I approve this message!

also:
(3s are in between a 4 and a 2, a 1 is in between a 2 and 0)
best...line...ever!
lol, thanks for approving, and I should have phrased that better. If you are grading and can't decide between a 4 or a 2, give it a 3. That's what I should have said.

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 10:38:53 AM »
Quote from: Mr Pokemon
Incorporation:
4-The quest can easily be incorporated into this game and fits the storyline
2-The quest might be able to be incorporated and somewhat fits the storyline
0-The quest does not fit the storyline at all (eg. Must fight Pokemon in outer space)

I hope you're referring to the storyline that the member is suggesting to incorporate the quest, because PU doesn't not really have a storyline. It has some background history, but there is no storyline to respect so that most areas are accessible to any player.

Anyway, yes, it's a good post :)
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline Mr Pokemon

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • I'm not dead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 08:55:40 PM »
Quote from: Mr Pokemon
Incorporation:
4-The quest can easily be incorporated into this game and fits the storyline
2-The quest might be able to be incorporated and somewhat fits the storyline
0-The quest does not fit the storyline at all (eg. Must fight Pokemon in outer space)

I hope you're referring to the storyline that the member is suggesting to incorporate the quest, because PU doesn't not really have a storyline. It has some background history, but there is no storyline to respect so that most areas are accessible to any player.

Anyway, yes, it's a good post :)
Thanks for that, I changed that so that it is now worded better, and changed it up a bit.
I have also added lesser criteria in the form of details and rewards. These categories are worth half the points of the other criteria, because they aren't as important, but are still key to making a quest.

Offline Sazhuy

• Beginning Trainer
  • Dance, Boogey Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 02:57:00 AM »
Earning Your Sealegs

While exploring the beach of a random isle you come across a ship with a captain aboard. Curios, you walk up to the man and ask him why he is here. "Well my boy the name is Captain Graybeard, as you can see I be a pirate and I'm here to recruit some men to come aboard my ship and sail the seas with me." You excitedly beg the captain to let him aboard his ship but sadly you are turned away. "Sorry me buckoo but in order to join my ship you've got to defeat my partner Chatot. But there be a condition, you must battle using a Chatot of your own. In a one-on-one battle to the death." Now you head out to wherever a Chatot may be found and do your best to catch and train it for the Captain isn't some rookie trainer.

Captain Graybeard
- Chatot (Male)
- Level 30

After his defeat he will reward you with the item "Metronome" and allow you to become part of his crew. "Arggh seems like that was a hardy battle but as promised ill let ye aboard me crew and here is something for the road. Ahh but it seems like your a little to young to be part of my pirate crew so come back in 10 years and ye'd be ready."
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 04:26:33 AM by Sazhuy »
Rules FAQ Forum Etiquette
Read The Above Before You Begin

Offline Mr Pokemon

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • I'm not dead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 10:13:43 PM »
Understandable-4
Storyline-4
Ideas-4
Length-3-A little too short
Details-2
Reward-2
Total-19/20-95%
Feedback-The only problem I saw is that it may be a little too short, but there is really nothing you can add to fix that without making the quest worse. I don't know what others will have to say, but I liked it. Oh, and about when in the game would this quest take place? Would it be about when your Pokemon are about level 30, or before or after that?

Offline Sazhuy

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 10:29:29 PM »
Understandable-4
Storyline-4
Ideas-4
Details-2
Reward-2
Total-19/20-95%
Feedback-The only problem I saw is that it may be a little too short, but there is really nothing you can add to fix that without making the quest worse. I don't know what others will have to say, but I liked it. Oh, and about when in the game would this quest take place? Would it be about when your Pokemon are about level 30, or before or after that?
Most likely after but you gotta remember to train your Chatot to a level high enough to beat him.

Offline Mr Pokemon

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • I'm not dead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 10:35:36 PM »
Understandable-4
Storyline-4
Ideas-4
Details-2
Reward-2
Total-19/20-95%
Most likely after but you gotta remember to train your Chatot to a level high enough to beat him.
Okay, thanks, and good quest!
You're the first one to post a quest on here so you get...
Well, nothing for now.

Offline spirit

• pikaNYA~
  • Administrator
  • Normal Trainer
  • nyannyannyannyannyan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 10:43:22 PM »
I noticed you were trying to get my attention on IRC the other day; I assume because you wanted me to review your entry.
So I will give you my opinion as well.

Understandable-4
Storyline-2
Ideas-3
Length-2
Details-2
Reward-1
Total-16/20=80%
Feedback-I don't mind the idea of incorporating a pirate ship, and crew, and your attempt to board said ship, but I find the quest to be rather unneeded to the players. Allow me to explain: PU is an mmo, and will have very few (if any) required quests, which means anyone can choose to take on a quest, or pass it; people are going to make use of walkthroughs, and each other, to ensure that for the most part, they do the quests that will give the best rewards. A reward is not always an item, or money though, sometimes a reward can be given access to something, in this case, I believe you should be entitled to join the crew, and a series of quests can be born from there, or alternatively, you could be given access to a far off island (treasure maybe?). If you do choose to pick an item for a reward, you must consider the reason for the reward; in this case, metronome does not feel very fitting to me. Perhaps seasalt, or shellbells, or something else would be a better reward than metronome. Not to say that metronome cannot be the reward, but you would have to go into more detail to explain why.

Just as you need to explain why the reward, it is a good idea to explain the reason for the events in the quest as well. For instance, I assume the reason you use chatot is because it is somewhat similar to a pirate's parrot, and the trainer must battle with a chatot because it is some form of pirate initiation and respect thing to battle with a pirate pokemon, but no where do you explain if that is the case or not. Also, you said the captains chatot is level 30, you expect people to attempt to get a chatot, not to mention getting it to level 30 just to be able to complete a quest that gives them metronome, and then dump the pokemon after that? Seams like a lot of work to me. Don't get me wrong though, I do like the idea of having to acquire a pokemon just to be able to do the quest, but perhaps some other solution is possible, such as an npc somewhere in the game who used to be a revered pirate back in his/her youth has the chatot you need, at just the right level too.

I have no problem with this quest really, I just wish it was more refined; there are so many things you can do with pirates: battles with other pirate crews on the open sea's, exploration of treasure islands, pillaging villages, mutiny, fighting off law enforcement, etc.

I hope that was helpfull.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 11:03:25 PM by spirit »

Offline spirit

• pikaNYA~
  • Administrator
  • Normal Trainer
  • nyannyannyannyannyan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 10:44:14 PM »
Oh, and Mr Pokemon, 4x6=24 not 20
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 11:02:51 PM by spirit »

Offline Declan_23

• Quest/NPC Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 10:44:21 PM »
Understandable-4
Storyline-4
Ideas-4
Length-1
Details-2
Reward-2
Total-17/20-85%

As it is it's a great little quest, but personally it seems too short to be called a quest in its own right.  I think you should expand the quest where either it becomes a long chain of mini quests, or this is just a small part of a larger one. Finally I absolutley loved the idea of pirates (Yarr!).
EDIT: just realised how tiny my post is in comparison to Spirit's
/shrinks in corner
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 10:46:46 PM by Declan_23 »

Offline Mr Pokemon

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • I'm not dead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 11:00:50 PM »
The details and reward categories have a maximum score of 2, sorry if I confused you.

Offline spirit

• pikaNYA~
  • Administrator
  • Normal Trainer
  • nyannyannyannyannyan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 11:02:30 PM »
The details and reward categories have a maximum score of 2, sorry if I confused you.

Yes you did, and now you shall feel the wrath of my....whom I kidding? I'm too lazy to do anything to you...I'm just going to go change the score I gave

Offline Sazhuy

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 01:15:52 AM »
Thanks everyone for their thoughts and come to think of it i guess i could make it more of a series of quest. So i understand what you mean spirit, seems like i need to learn from the master as being the best way to learn at all since i intend to become a story writer someday.

Edit:

Earning Your Sealegs

While exploring the beach of a random isle you come across a ship with a captain aboard. Curios, you walk up to the man and ask him why he is here. "Well my boy the name is Captain Graybeard, as you can see I be a pirate and I'm here to recruit some men to come aboard my ship and sail the seas with me." You excitedly beg the captain to let him aboard his ship but sadly you are turned away. "Sorry me buckoo but in order to join my ship you've got to defeat my partner Chatot. But you must have yarself your own Chatot, but I don't think they're are any around these parts.... wait a second" Your frown turns upside down as you listen to the captain. "There be a ex-pirate whom used to be my apprentice and boy was his Chatot strong, frankly he found the pirate life too dangerous and quit before he could get far. Last time I saw him he was making a foundation on this here island, listen boy find a guy named Karl and ask him if you could borrow his Chatot for a bit. If he says yes then i'll be waiting here for the battle, until then good luck matey."

You now head off to the town square where if you search throughly inside the Poke'mart you will find Karl checking out some pharmacy items. "Oh hello there, are you hear to buy some potions?""You explain to Karl all the details Captain Graybeard has told you and await for his answer. "WHAT! You want me to go back with that crazy captain, no way!" Frustrated you remind him of an old saying. "Once a pirate, always a pirate." "You have a point there, and doesn't seem like your going to leave me alone until I accept your favor. Fine ill let you use my Chatot but first I have to test if you are a good enough trainer to use her. Go out in the wild and defeat 10 Pidgeotto's and 5 Fearow's, and ill let you borrow my Chatot. But don't forget to bring back their feathers."

Excited you rush into the wild and find the pokemon needed to get the Chatot from Karl. Basically once you defeat the pokemon a [Insert Pokemon name here] Feather will appear in your inventory. Once you meet all the requirements you rush back to the pharmacy only to discover that Karl isn't here. You ask around the Poke'mart if they had seen him and a small boy tells you that he saw Karl head out to the beach. Confused you head off to the beach to find Captain Graybeard and Karl arguing. "Aww but apprentice we had so much fun exploring the seven seas, why did you have to quit." "I told you i'm not your apprentice anymore, and I quit because of you putting me through all of that trouble. Remember when our ship got attacked you left me out there to fend off all those pirates by myself." "I admit I did leave you to do all the work, its just thats how I like to train my new recruits so that I can see if their fit for the pirate life." You slowly walk up to the two after the cooled down a bit and you hand Karl the feather. "Well a promise is a promise, and I would like to see how my Chatot defeats the captain's partner any day." Karl then lets out a soft whistle and seconds later a Shiny Chatot appears out of the tree and lands on Karl's shoulder. "Alright me buckoo lets get this show on the road." The shiny Chatot walks up to you all fired up and you finally get your match with the captain.

Captain Graybeard
- Chatot (Male)
- Level 30

Karl's Chatot
- Chatot (Female)
- Knows Heatwave

"Arggh seems like that was a hardy battle but as promised ill let ye aboard me crew and here is something for the road. Ahh but it seems like your a little to young to be part of my pirate crew so come back in 10 years and ye'd be ready." After his defeat he will reward you with the item "Shellbell" but you are sad that you had gone through all that trouble to get rejected. "Hold the phone captain I don't think you should turn this kid away, especially since I'm also part of the package." The captain turns around and starts to think about the offer and seconds later he turns back around with a smile on his face. "Now why would I turn down a package like that, boys welcome to Graybeards Pirate Crew." You then hand back Karl's Chatot and notice some silhouette's in the distant sky. All three of you take a good look at it and realize that its a flock of Chatot heading towards the island. "Well i'll be, I forgot it was the annual Chatot migration happens every summer after they leave the island during winter." "Alright me boy come and talk to me whenever you are ready to set sail on the seven seas."

Chatot will now appear on the island. Congratulation you have completed the first part of Captain Graybeards Pirate Crew storyline.

Thanks everyone for the help on the story, tell me what you think?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 02:08:05 AM by Sazhuy »