* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Trainer Challenging/Trainer Origin  (Read 4927 times)

Offline Dracoules

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
Trainer Challenging/Trainer Origin
« on: January 13, 2010, 12:59:46 AM »
I'm not sure if this has been discussed, but by recognizing how primal this topic is I apologize, it probably has.
So, we've all played the Pokemon games (I hope) and we've all beaten the Elite four at one time or another and have returned to Pallet Town, New Bark Town, et cetera. And so, on beginning the game will new players begin from different places?
An origin town here an origin town there?
If the game is started this way we could have "locals" from the area to rely on for direction.
This way there could be people familiar with different areas.
I hope you catch my drift.
People beginning from different parts of maps.
I know this is no virtual reality but I do think it would be neat.
And might there be benefits for being from your town.

And so if the game does start like this and a high leveled individual returns to their hometown well experienced and catches the eye of a novice, what now?
As we all know the tradition is you catch the eye of another trainer, game on.
So maybe there could be a level allowance, what I mean is not only that Pokemon have levels but the trainers as well, independently of there Pokemon, perhaps.
The "allowance" would allow the trainer of a given level only to challenge trainers within a 5 level range, so IF trainers were to have levels, a level 50 trainer could not challenge a level 5 trainer.
The previously stated "allowance" would restrict the level 50 trainer to challenge trainers only from Level 45 to 55.
I know this could be a potential bar on opportunities to gain experience, but I think it would only be fair.
Now, again if a level 50 trainer is carrying Pokemon of lesser levels, that wouldn't be fair either but things will be settled in due time.

I do realize the amount of work required, but before throwing ideas down the drain, just consider them. ;]
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 05:33:53 PM by Dracoules »
Yeah, I know right?

Offline Nando

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Trainer Challenging/Trainer Origin
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 01:30:20 AM »
I really like your first idea. It would be nice if we had the option to start in a town/city of our choice. I can't imagine the amount of lag we may experience when there's hundreds of trainers on the same map (I know this game will be big). This should be looked into, in my humble opinion.

And not just 'cause of the lag, but there would also be that feeling of joy from representing the town/city you're from in major competitions. :)

Announcer: Here we have Nando, the trainer from (insert cool city name here). He's made it this far, will he take first place!?
Nando:  8)
___

As for your second idea, I'm not quite fond of it, so no opinion there.

Offline The Fireball Kid

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 03:43:34 AM »
Interestin idea. You could do somethin like a faction. And maybe later into the game, you can have region vs region competitions. Stuff like that.

Offline Kamaran

• Lead Mapper
  • PU Team
  • Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 08:35:05 AM »

[...]
People beginning from different parts of maps.
I know this is no virtual reality but I do think it would be neat.

This might be possible. But don't count on it.
During the BETA, everyone will start at the same location.

[...]
Pokemon have levels but the trainers as well, independently of there Pokemon, perhaps.
Yes trainers will have levels. How the player XP will be calculated is not decided.

The previously stated "allowance" would restrict the level 50 trainer to challenge trainers only from Level 45 to 55.
A trainer will most likely be able to challenge any other trainer. However, in my personal point of view, there will be two ways of doing so: The regular way, like the one we are used to in the games, and the "Set battle settings" way, meaning that you can set different settings from "pokemon in level range [ ] to [ ] may only be used" and "No switching out during battle, unless your pokemon is fainted" and so on. This is to improve the battle experience ingame.

"Don't touch the poster at the Game Corner! There's no secret switch behind it!"

Offline Mr_Dark

• PU God
  • Administrator
  • Senior Trainer
  • QQ
    • View Profile
    • Dark Productions
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 11:02:48 AM »
Starter Town:
Our plan is to make a starter town on every island. But since the first BETA release will only have 1 island there will be only 1 starter town.

Battle Challenge Level:
Before you challenge a trainer it's possible to see this trainers level (note: NOT his/her Pokémon level). This way you'll be able to see around what level his Pokémon are. After that it's up to you to accept or decline battle.

IRC: #pokemon-universe @ Rizon.net

!!PRIVATE MESSAGES WITHOUT A SUBJECT WILL NOT BE READ!!

Quote from: Frenchfry545
That settles it. I'm starting a new religion. It's called "Misterdarkism".

Offline The Fireball Kid

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 06:11:14 PM »
Sorta off topic: After we finish the beta, will there be a wipe? I'm assumin yes from what you said.

Offline Mr_Dark

• PU God
  • Administrator
  • Senior Trainer
  • QQ
    • View Profile
    • Dark Productions
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 08:02:33 PM »
Sorta off topic: After we finish the beta, will there be a wipe? I'm assumin yes from what you said.

Maybe
IRC: #pokemon-universe @ Rizon.net

!!PRIVATE MESSAGES WITHOUT A SUBJECT WILL NOT BE READ!!

Quote from: Frenchfry545
That settles it. I'm starting a new religion. It's called "Misterdarkism".