* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 am]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 am]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 am]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 am]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 am]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 pm]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 pm]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 pm]

Author Topic: Pokemon varieties  (Read 7648 times)

Offline DaigurenHyõrinmaru

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
Pokemon varieties
« on: November 07, 2012, 02:10:45 pm »
Here is something that I have always thought about and I would like to hear your opinions. In nature, every species seems to have their own general physical appearance. If you put two sloths in a room they would probably be very similar in the way they look. But a lot of species also have physical varieties and I'm wondering if this would be something to consider in the Pokemon world.

So what I was think was maybe having varieties of pokemon added to the game, purely for cosmetic purposes. Like maybe a spotted charmander or a albino poliwag (these may not be the best example but just use your imagination). So in regards to the actual mechanics, maybe you could make it like the shiny pokemon and give them a lower rate, not as low as the shiny but lower then normal, and maybe a chance on breeding to get a different variety. I haven't really put too much thought into it as I didn't want to waste my time coming up with a bunch of mechanics and numbers and samples if people thought it was a useless idea. So tell me what you guys think. Is it an idea the community would like to see and is it something the game Devs could add?

Any and all feedback is wanted and welcome! Hope you guys like the idea!  ;D
Halagren

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon varieties
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 07:23:19 pm »
Well, for my part, I'm not too interested in albino Pokemon (thank a certain group on deviantArt...), but that aside, our prime concern is to first get the pokemon themselves. There are no artwork of the standard pokemon yet (or very few) and we need a vector artist to work on those first.

I wouldn't mind having some 'special' pokemon as prizes which show some little tweak in their design that is not too drastic from the original, but I prefer it being as something earned through effort other than luck (i.e. looking into tall grass for hours).

EDIT: Typo fixed
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 06:42:47 am by Jerry »
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 10:32:32 pm »
Yea I like that idea. It would make it pretty awesome if it was semi-exclusive and it would kind of show your achievements.

p.s the albino was just an example. I don't know if anyone would want one lol.
Halagren

Offline Darkstar64

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Good Trainer
  • They said I could be anything, so I became a snake
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 01:30:09 am »
Similar to how the pokemon Spinda has many sprites with slight differences? Like how they say "no two have spots in the same places"? Or do you mean even more than that, like SPECIAL coloration, like an entirely new color scheme? I like the idea of the first one, but I'd think it'd be difficult to program, or have to recolor a sprite that many times. As for the second one, I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'm not really a fan of pokemon being special because they're "recolored", with the exception of shiny pokemon I guess, so I'm not sure I'd like having more special color variations.

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 02:36:24 am »
To be honest, when I thought about it I wasn't really leaning one way or the other which is why I didn't clarify in my original post. I, like yourself, think it would be better to have slight variations as opposed to a whole new color scheme but the reason I put up the post was to see what other people thought about the idea.
Halagren

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 06:42:25 am »
Well, for my part, I'm not too interested in albino Pokemon (thank a certain group on deviantArt...), but that aside, our prime concern in to first get the pokemon themselves. There are no artwork of the standard pokemon yet (or very few) and we need a vector artist to work on those first.

I wouldn't mind having some 'special' pokemon as prizes which show some little tweak in their design that is not too drastic from the original, but I prefer it being as something earned through effort other than luck (i.e. looking into tall grass for hours).
Not that I know much, but isn't this kinda like a shiny?

Hmm, I think of it like spiky-eared Pichu, or Pokemon with a little tuft of fur, or Spinda with a heart-shaped mark, etc. Nothing too drastic, and more towards discreet little tweaks.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline Kamaran

• Lead Mapper
  • PU Team
  • Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 10:58:34 am »
I too like the idea, but at the same time we need to focus on 'vectoring' the "normal looking" pokemon first. Variations can come afterwards.

"Don't touch the poster at the Game Corner! There's no secret switch behind it!"