* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Gym/Quest Idea  (Read 6197 times)

Offline Hiteryan

• Music Composer
  • Administrator
  • Normal Trainer
  • Oh gawd awesoem.
    • View Profile
    • Hitey's YouTube
Gym/Quest Idea
« on: December 27, 2009, 02:25:53 PM »
I have posted this before on the old forums. I'll just repost here again in order to be further discussed. ::)

One concept, two ideas.

The first idea would be the gym in one of the towns. This particular town would have to be placed in a somewhat rocky area. The gym leader would like to live away from civilization and would have his/her gym atop a really high mountain thing. The only way to access the top would be going inside from the bottom (so it would be a cave) and there would be wild Pokémon inside, so the trainer would have to go really well equipped in terms on potions, etc, in order to reach the gym with healthy Pokémon.

For the mountain effect, it would have to consist of a few layers, so the player could only go up inside the cave. I only made two layers on this map there because it's really boring drawing that, and it's just to show the idea. To see what I really mean now, check this horrible drawing out:

As you can see, there are some exits, meaning that sometimes the player would go in and out the mountain along the way. On the top of the mountain, there would be the gym :$

The second idea, and this one is pretty huge, would be the following:

This was my idea for Town Y of the map assignment, which would be called Cerandia because I can't think of a better name right now as I am typing this.

The people of Cerandia believed that the town was blessed by legendary Pokémon Kyogre, as it had blessed them with water (duh lol) so the town could pretty much rely on itself for food (they could get lots of fish), blah blah etc, though they'd get alot of rain but it was good for the fertile grounds.

At one point in the game, there would be regular earthquakes in the landmass where Cerandia is located for about a week, and contrary to every other region of Miryus, Cerandia would be the only town where every single inhabitant would demonstrate to be worried about the earthquakes when the player would go talk to them.

After about a week of the earthquakes, a new landmass would rise from the ocean south of Cerandia! What could that possibly be?

That would be Spiral Mountain (and I just remembered thats from Digimon but whatever), which would be basically like the previous idea of the gym atop of the mountain. Except the mountain would be like, nearly 10x bigger (as in, REALLY HUGE, lol) and would have dozens of dead ends and circular paths so it would be really really hard to reach the top. Now, this would be a challenge for the most experient players.

Basically, the same concept applies as the first idea, except there would be a very maze-ish feeling, both inside and outside the caves, so it could take hours to reach the top. There would be wild Pokémon inside, but considering this would be extremely huge, they wouldn't appear half as often as in tall grass or whatever. Let's say, they'd appear, at most, 1/3 as often as they normally would. There would be rock Pokémon and a couple of fire type ones that the player would only be able to catch here and then never again. The lava kind, the likes of Slugma and Magmar.

This pretty much sums up what the player could find at the top:

Sweet :3

Now, either this special event would last for a few days, and then the mountain would sink back into the ocean, or this would just be for the really strongest players, and the mountain would just stick there forever.

The player would defeat Groudon and get some awesome item, or something. Plus would be able to catch a couple of unique Pokémon inside the mountain caves.

Also, the spot where Groudon would be located could only be seen in its entirity when the player was at that spot (there would be no mountain layers below in which the player would still be able to see that spot) so it would be possible to incorporate the sky around that area, instead of sea or something, so it looks more epic. (*)

Discuss :3
Pokémon Universe Music Composer Guy Dude Person!
Hiteryan on YouTube - Vimeo (I'm a filmmaker too!) - last.fm

Offline Urmel

• Founder/Developer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Trainer
  • You are now blinking manually
    • View Profile
Re: Gym/Quest Idea
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 03:01:37 PM »
Liking both ideas! :D

Offline Carbon

• The one who lurks.
  • Banned
  • Beginning Trainer
  • Ohai thar.
    • View Profile
    • Carbon on Twitter.
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 06:23:53 PM »
I like both. Maybe we could make a poll for this, have them vote on idea one and idea two, but also keep the option for both. Possibly using one idea for certain points, and another for others. Or even find a way to implement them both, but separately.

Offline Mr_Dark

• PU God
  • Administrator
  • Senior Trainer
  • QQ
    • View Profile
    • Dark Productions
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 10:51:42 PM »
I like both. Maybe we could make a poll for this, have them vote on idea one and idea two, but also keep the option for both. Possibly using one idea for certain points, and another for others. Or even find a way to implement them both, but separately.

Nah I think both idea's have potential parts which we can use in the game, so there's no need for a poll.
IRC: #pokemon-universe @ Rizon.net

!!PRIVATE MESSAGES WITHOUT A SUBJECT WILL NOT BE READ!!

Quote from: Frenchfry545
That settles it. I'm starting a new religion. It's called "Misterdarkism".

Offline Amphi

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Good Trainer
  • Neko -----> <(^.^)>
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 05:00:51 PM »
I like the first idea it reminds me of the g/s/c games where Blaine has a gym on seafoam islalnds
Never Underestimate the Kindness of other Humans.

Offline Phosphorous

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 05:53:00 PM »
I think having it up for a couple days makes it more exciting, plus more people would rush to it just because it's only going to be there for several days. There would be more social and interacting going on, and so i think thatd be cooler.

As for having to be a higher lvl, I know by the time that comes up i guess I would be high enough cuz im one of the people who was here before the game was released, but i think other players would be pretty pissed haha, but that also depends how often this mountain shows up.

Also since you're thinking about making this place huge....
nvm I was gonna be like after he's captured that a hole show up so u dont have to back down again.

But 1. If you die you go to the pokemon center.
and 2.You can use fly.

I fail lol.

Offline Mr_Dark

• PU God
  • Administrator
  • Senior Trainer
  • QQ
    • View Profile
    • Dark Productions
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 06:19:56 PM »
As for having to be a higher lvl, I know by the time that comes up i guess I would be high enough cuz im one of the people who was here before the game was released, but i think other players would be pretty pissed haha, but that also depends how often this mountain shows up.

I changed the experience formula so you'll don't level up as fast as it was in the pre-beta.
IRC: #pokemon-universe @ Rizon.net

!!PRIVATE MESSAGES WITHOUT A SUBJECT WILL NOT BE READ!!

Quote from: Frenchfry545
That settles it. I'm starting a new religion. It's called "Misterdarkism".

Offline Fairn

• New Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 04:48:59 AM »
I have to say, Hiteryan, I like that second idea of yours a lot (don't get me wrong though, the first idea is pretty solid too), but I have a response to what you said here...

Now, either this special event would last for a few days, and then the mountain would sink back into the ocean, or this would just be for the really strongest players, and the mountain would just stick there forever.

... What you suggested, with the town and the spiral mountain, sounds more like a continued quest than a special event. If you want me to explain why I feel that, you'll have to wait a day until I'm in more of an explaining mood :P.

Offline Hiteryan

• Music Composer
  • Administrator
  • Normal Trainer
  • Oh gawd awesoem.
    • View Profile
    • Hitey's YouTube
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 03:21:48 AM »
I'm all ears Fairn :b

I chose it as a monthly event or something because people would be able to catch unique kinds of Pokémon, but any ideas are welcome.
Pokémon Universe Music Composer Guy Dude Person!
Hiteryan on YouTube - Vimeo (I'm a filmmaker too!) - last.fm

Offline DayStar

• Beginning Trainer
  • Live Life To The Full!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 11:55:41 AM »
Love it. It's very unique :)
Both ideas are great btw,a great touch :)
+1 Post
----------
Knowledge is knowing a Tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad!
Everybody do the Kirby dance!!!
<( "<) <( " )> (>" )>