* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: losing to a gym leader  (Read 40362 times)

Offline Marissa

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
Re: losing to a gym leader
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2010, 02:04:07 AM »
Losing a Pokemon?  But what if you trained it, and you just happened to lose to a difficult Gym Leader?  I would hate to lose my starter.  And what would determine what your weakest Pokemon is?

Offline ghostman50

• Contributor
  • Normal Trainer
  • Blah Blah Blah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2010, 02:24:44 AM »
I would hate to lose my starter.  And what would determine what your weakest Pokemon is?

Lowest level and least number of attacks can determine what the weakest is.

Losing pokemon would only be a penalty for losing 3 times and that is fairly reasonable.  Anyone losing to a gym leader (knowing they may not win), deserves to have something of value lost.

The handhelds were made easy because the Gym leaders are the one's giving the badges and exp, the TM/HMs, etc while the gym leader have absolutely nothing to gain in a win.

Adding penalties like this would keep the players, abusing the power lvling technique, honest and weed out the losers.

PLus, if you lose 3 times to the same gym leader, it is fairly obvious that the weakess pokemon in your team is the weakes link. Why keep?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 02:26:42 AM by ghostman50 »
Am I a ghost or a man? Or a man-ghost offspring that come from mi father's inexplicable penetration of mi mother's ghostly woman parts? Or am I a child imitating a man's ability to change into a ghostly form in order to preserve mi appellation?

"She's so sharp, depressed teenagers use her to cut themselves."  - Greg Gutfeld

Offline Frenchfry

• Good Trainer
  • I woke up with a clown's hand in my pants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2010, 03:06:49 AM »
Uh... I get the losing something of value, but... how can you justify taking away their pokemon, or calling other players losers? What's happening to the pokemon, anyway? Is the Gym leader just gonna say, "I want your pokeman, it's MIIIIIINEEE!" ?
And... there shouldn't be a loss of exp, there should just be a loss of money. I get having to 'pay' for a second loss, so that can be justified, but will you honestly become a worse trainer by losing a match?

Offline LeoReborn

• Good Trainer
  • Through the pain, I've been reborn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2010, 04:10:01 AM »
I would hate to lose my starter.  And what would determine what your weakest Pokemon is?

Losing pokemon would only be a penalty for losing 3 times and that is fairly reasonable.  Anyone losing to a gym leader (knowing they may not win), deserves to have something of value lost.

The handhelds were made easy because the Gym leaders are the one's giving the badges and exp, the TM/HMs, etc while the gym leader have absolutely nothing to gain in a win.

Adding penalties like this would keep the players, abusing the power lvling technique, honest and weed out the losers.

PLus, if you lose 3 times to the same gym leader, it is fairly obvious that the weakess pokemon in your team is the weakes link. Why keep?

Even So, That goes Against everything Pokemon Stands for, If you lose a Pokemon like that youre losing a friend, even if they are weak.

I say No.
By loving so many, I have touched their lives and helped them rebirth as well. To be strong is to instill strength in another.

Offline ghostman50

• Contributor
  • Normal Trainer
  • Blah Blah Blah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2010, 04:26:51 AM »
Uh... I get the losing something of value, but... how can you justify taking away their pokemon

If a player wins a gym battle, it enables them to move on to the next gym without incident, Unlock new quests and content, and explore new lands The gym badge that they recieve is among the most valuable things in the game. It's a symbol for status and tenure in the game.

WHy should a player that loses 20 times and gets lucky on the 21st try get the same prize and acheive the same status as a player that pwns in the first or second attempt, without any kind of punishment for losing? Something has to be lost and if it's a pokemon, the penalty seems reasonable.

or calling other players losers?
If you dont want to lose anything valuable... how about not lose.

And... there shouldn't be a loss of exp, there should just be a loss of money

totally agree, I never mentioned anything of the loss of exp.

I get having to 'pay' for a second loss, so that can be justified, but will you honestly become a worse trainer by losing a match?

If there isnt a legitimate (reason to fear) penalty or punishment for losing, abuse and boredom eventually become the outcome. Trainers that lose a first time will experience the thrill and urgency of actually getting better before re-battling... rather than rebattling 10 minutes later and getting pwned numerous times without any will to improve.

Harsh punishments or the potential of a harsh outcome brings out the best in people.
Am I a ghost or a man? Or a man-ghost offspring that come from mi father's inexplicable penetration of mi mother's ghostly woman parts? Or am I a child imitating a man's ability to change into a ghostly form in order to preserve mi appellation?

"She's so sharp, depressed teenagers use her to cut themselves."  - Greg Gutfeld

Offline Frenchfry

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2010, 04:52:58 AM »
You keep saying harsh punishments, but, c'mon, there are ways to punish people without haxxing their pokemon. And as long as we're okay with doing things that could easily be considered unfair, why don't we make that punishment be that the words "Newfag loser" appear above their name until they beat the gym leader? And honestly, they DO deserve the same status as someone who beat the gym on try one, regardless of how many attempts it took them. Wanna know why? Because the second they beat that gym leader, they have made the very same accomplishment that the other guy did, albeit it took him longer.

Moreover, you can lose to a gym leader three times... without xp farming or being a 'loser'. It took me about four tries each game to beat the elite four, and PU is supposed to make the gym leaders much more challenging than anything from the handhelds.

And again, what is this gym leader, a secret member of team rocket? What business does he have, taking your pokemon?

...And even if this were implemented, it would be laughably easy to exploit. I normally only used three pokemon in the handhelds, which I pulled off by making them very different types and levelling them far beyond that particular zone's norm. That leaves three slots just for fillers, to save you the trouble of losing a rare pokemon you were in the process of training when you lost to the gym leader for the third time.

Offline neokills

• Normal Trainer
  • "I'd rather die on the feet than live on my knee's
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2010, 09:27:32 AM »
losing your pokemon because you lost a battle??? come on are you being serious??? thats is the dumbest and most ridiculous  thing i have ever heard, i for one am sure glad you are not making this game, or have any part in  making this game. enough said...
***Thanx to lucariox for this great signature***

Offline LeoReborn

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2010, 02:01:52 PM »

Even So, That goes Against everything Pokemon Stands for, If you lose a Pokemon like that youre losing a friend, even if they are weak.

I say No.

^^^^This is what I said earlier, If it needs to be repeated again, so be it, but Im warning you I may get pushy in trying to defend It.

I agree with Frenchfry, Public humiliation is acceptable.
By loving so many, I have touched their lives and helped them rebirth as well. To be strong is to instill strength in another.

Offline ghostman50

• Contributor
  • Normal Trainer
  • Blah Blah Blah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2010, 02:33:16 PM »
losing your pokemon because you lost a battle??? come on are you being serious??? thats is the dumbest and most ridiculous  thing i have ever heard, i for one am sure glad you are not making this game, or have any part in  making this game. enough said...

The dumbest and most ridiculous.. really?... It's only dumb to you because you and everyone else is so used to being able to parade through a game without consequence, one little obstacle that doesnt appear in the handhelds is automatically assumed as dumb, may want to stop crying and learn to adapt (an overture to evolution, mind you).

If pokemon were real, no gym leader would ever have the patience to seriously battle the same loser 20 times. (am I right?) Something would have to be lost (Im also aware that poke's arent real). And dead weight  (ex. lvl 8 paras) seems about right.

Im fairly sure the loss of poke's wont be implemented but it's obvious that that something needs to be lost.

Heck, most gym badges in the handhelds are worth more than some of the weak a$$ poke's out there.

And as I said before, stop crying. It's only a suggestion.

And as I've said many times before, if your poke's were worth half a crap, it wouldnt take as many attempts to battle in the first place. It's an easy concept, dont make 20 attempts to defeat a gym leader, if you do... you may lose the dead weight in your team.

I dont get how that is dumb at all. tbh.

Is it because you didnt think of it? Is it because it's different? Is it because you planned to power level and losing (dead weight) poke's would interfere? Is it because losing poke's has never been a consequence ever in the history of pokemon?

This is an MMO after all.

I'd seriously like to hear how it is dumb...

It is certainly more effective than,

"hey.... you have to wait 20 minutes because you've already lost to me 11 times earlier today without any signs of improvement."
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 03:04:05 PM by ghostman50 »

Offline ghostman50

• Contributor
  • Normal Trainer
  • Blah Blah Blah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2010, 03:02:43 PM »
You keep saying harsh punishments, but, c'mon, there are ways to punish people without haxxing their pokemon. And as long as we're okay with doing things that could easily be considered unfair, why don't we make that punishment be that the words "Newfag loser" appear above their name until they beat the gym leader?

lol, if they are spending all of their time in the gym battling and re-battling.. no one's gonna ever notice. PLus, that isnt humiliating at all. Some may even strive for "Newfag loser" status for the lulz.

If they are exploiting the system by power leveling, they arnt going to care what's placed over their heads when they are gaining insane levels.

And honestly, they DO deserve the same status as someone who beat the gym on try one, regardless of how many attempts it took them. Wanna know why? Because the second they beat that gym leader, they have made the very same accomplishment that the other guy did, albeit it took him longer.

That is just like saying that a person who works and goes to school all through his/her life and becomes an entreprenuer to finally become a millionaire (the player defeating the Gym leader with little effort) is at the same level as a homeless drunk meth-head, that dropped out of highschool, that wins the lottery (the player that takes a little longer to get to his million dollar goal, but FINALLY gets it.)

Yea, they both have a million dollars, but seriously, are they really on the same level? Will they ever really be on the same level? seriously?>

Moreover, you can lose to a gym leader three times... without xp farming or being a 'loser'.

Never mentioned the farming of exp. Only poke's

It took me about four tries each game to beat the elite four, and PU is supposed to make the gym leaders much more challenging than anything from the handhelds.

I was only talking about gym leaders. I understand how difficult it is to defeat the elite. Hell, it's in their name. But Fisherman Barneypants (the water gym leader) doesnt seem to be a member of the elite.

And again, what is this gym leader, a secret member of team rocket? What business does he have, taking your pokemon?

Not a member of team rocket, but a member of the pokemon league commision (PLC).

Example to help you all understand mi pointo, Try teaching the piano to a 30 year old guy wiht no sense of rhythm, timing, or talent whatsoever. Everyday, coming in just as bad as he was the day before. Are you going to quit tutoring him because he's bad? NO. because he's paying your bills. Why stop?

Will you continue to charge him (or charge him even more) even though he'll never get better? Probably.

Continuing to charge this guy, that is the toll for wasting time and effort.

Same concept for gym leaders.

WHich is, as said before, fairly reasonable.

...And even if this were implemented, it would be laughably easy to exploit. I normally only used three pokemon in the handhelds, which I pulled off by making them very different types and levelling them far beyond that particular zone's norm. That leaves three slots just for fillers, to save you the trouble of losing a rare pokemon you were in the process of training when you lost to the gym leader for the third time.

Never said rarest, only the weakest (PLease dont twist the text.) But if your weakest just happened to be rare, oops.   :'( .

The suggestion suggests that the weakest in one's party be taken. I'd imagine a part of 3 still equals a party.   :-\

« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 03:14:50 PM by ghostman50 »

Offline Frenchfry

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2010, 04:43:24 PM »
lol, if they are spending all of their time in the gym battling and re-battling.. no one's gonna ever notice. PLus, that isnt humiliating at all. Some may even strive for "Newfag loser" status for the lulz.
And some people make an effort to die, it still sucks, though. And they aren't spending all their time in the gym. They have eight hours after the battle where the gym is totally useless after the gym trainers are beat.
That is just like saying that a person who works and goes to school all through his/her life and becomes an entreprenuer to finally become a millionaire (the player defeating the Gym leader with little effort) is at the same level as a homeless drunk meth-head, that dropped out of highschool, that wins the lottery (the player that takes a little longer to get to his million dollar goal, but FINALLY gets it.)

Yea, they both have a million dollars, but seriously, are they really on the same level? Will they ever really be on the same level? seriously?>
It's not like that at all. The homeless guy just got lucky in the lottery, whereas the player who took several tries to beat the gym leader EARNED the win. Imagine someone who became a millionare at age twenty, as opposed to one that became a millionare at age twenty-seven. They're both millionares, but it took the second guy a bit longer. They're still on the same level.
You did, actually. Even in that post.
...If they are exploiting the system by power leveling...
Not a member of team rocket, but a member of the pokemon league commision (PLC).

Example to help you all understand mi pointo, Try teaching the piano to a 30 year old guy wiht no sense of rhythm, timing, or talent whatsoever. Everyday, coming in just as bad as he was the day before. Are you going to quit tutoring him because he's bad? NO. because he's paying your bills. Why stop?

Will you continue to charge him (or charge him even more) even though he'll never get better? Probably.

Are we touching up on your personal life here? :D
And no, it isn't fairly reasonable. The piano teacher is charging money. He's not taking your pets as payment.

...and Three in a party means that you have three more slots for fillers, to prevent you from losing anything you care about.

Offline ghostman50

• Contributor
  • Normal Trainer
  • Blah Blah Blah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2010, 05:58:53 PM »
And some people make an effort to die, it still sucks, though. And they aren't spending all their time in the gym. They have eight hours after the battle where the gym is totally useless after the gym trainers are beat. 

That is tantamount to one's bed-time. Havent you heard of spam accounts? If i wanted to spam (via power leveling), i'd just log into it right before going to bed battle, lose.. then log in when i wake up.

*cough cough*, still being exploited. Losing a poke (and/or something valuable) would completely eliminate exploitation.

I dont think anyone can seriously argue that. (I agree, it borders the land of absurdity yet it is undoubtedly effective.)

Are you bashing this idea because it's different because as i've said many times before, it is fairly reasonable and actually presents a challenge (that no one is willing to take on)  :'( .

It's not like that at all. The homeless guy just got lucky in the lottery, whereas the player who took several tries to beat the gym leader EARNED the win.

You're assuming too much...

I never said the homeless guy actually tried. Only thing the homeless drunk, meth-head actually did was rely on luck (the lottery)... no effort involved. It only took him a long time for luck to kick in... not his hard work and effort.

While the entrepreneur reaches his goal with "little effort" (as stated above, not several attempts..). The Entrepreneur completed the task because he/she was prepared, well in advance (the schooling and hard work).

Again, are they really on the same level?>

Imagine someone who became a millionare at age twenty, as opposed to one that became a millionare at age twenty-seven. They're both millionares, but it took the second guy a bit longer. They're still on the same level.

What does age have to do with anything? I think that a man's effort speaks more loudly that his age/experience.

The argument could go either way.. the 20 and 27 year old's maturity, gender, financial investments, family background, criminal history, place of residency and other factors actually make your example impossible to really know what the level is and what it takes to really be on what level.

While mine is fairly simple..... homeless drunkard (Player that loses for the hell of it, or is just that bad) <<<<<<<<<<<< Hard-working individual (player that is prepared, aware of potential costs.. and is willing to take the risk) everytime.

Not even close. Never ever will be close

You did, actually. Even in that post.

Even in what post? No i didnt. I've said etc... but never EXP..... how and why would exp be taken away when you can simply take away a poke?

...If they are exploiting the system by power leveling...

Are we touching up on your personal life here? :D 

Just a little.

And no, it isn't fairly reasonable. The piano teacher is charging money. He's not taking your pets as payment.

Same concept here... instead of losing money, you'd lose a poke' (the toll). Anyone's that ever played a Pokemon handheld know how insignificant money is... and anyone's that ever played a pokemon handheld knows how valuable pokemon are.

Which is a fairly reasonable trade-off.

*cough cough*

Dont want to lose a poke' dont lose.

...and Three in a party means that you have three more slots for fillers, to prevent you from losing anything you care about.

Alright, if you'd lose a pokemon.. whether you care about it or not, why the lack of acceptance?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 06:06:00 PM by ghostman50 »

Offline LeoReborn

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2010, 06:27:02 PM »
Im getting Sick of the BS. All the fighting is getting out of hand, Its pointless, SO STOP.

Bottom Line: Ghost has his Ideas, we have ours, thats life, suck it up.

Your wasting your time fighting an argument no one is going to win. Forget it.

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2010, 09:19:12 PM »
Hm... what about... your pokemon losing confidence in you?

Then, re-introduce the system of 'XXX disobeyed orders'
Of course, this should be extremely gradual.

Like for example, you get 1 badge. The confidence level of your pokemon are raised from... say 10 to 30. You lose your first match against the second gym leader. Nothing happens to their confidence. Lose a second time, say, it decreases to 28. Then, successively to 25, 21, 15, 10, etc. Once it gets negative, well, the disobeying starts.

Now, other scenario, winning after the first lost, resets the confidence level, and adds the amount of points it should. If 20 more should be added, then the total would be 30 + 20 = 50, as if you never lost. But then, on your first lost, you already lost money, and if things are really expensive in PU, losing that money won't be considered lightly.

Just an idea...
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline LeoReborn

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2010, 12:03:27 AM »
Thats better.