* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: losing to a gym leader  (Read 40364 times)

Offline neokills

• Normal Trainer
  • "I'd rather die on the feet than live on my knee's
    • View Profile
losing to a gym leader
« on: July 02, 2010, 09:16:04 PM »
I was thinking and I did search for this but was unable to find a topic.

I think if you lose to a gym leader, you shouldnt be able to just g to the pokemon center and then go right back to the gym.

There should be alike a time limit that you have to wait before you can challenge him/her again. like if you lose to gym A, you wont be able to challenge that gym leader for like 24 hours or until your trainer level, level's up. Something like that any way

this would actually make people think before they challenge a gym, they would have to make sure that they are fully prepared to challenge the gym leader.

anybody agree with me on this?
***Thanx to lucariox for this great signature***

Offline Amphi

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Good Trainer
  • Neko -----> <(^.^)>
    • View Profile
Re: losing to a gym leader
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 11:52:32 PM »
i actually disagree i dont think there should be a time limit at all gym leaders are a very good way of leveling your teams up,
Never Underestimate the Kindness of other Humans.

Offline ghostman50

• Contributor
  • Normal Trainer
  • Blah Blah Blah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 12:42:31 AM »
i actually disagree i dont think there should be a time limit at all gym leaders are a very good way of leveling your teams up,

Battling Gym leaders are only a good way of leveling up your team if you win....

Why allow a player to continue to lose over and over again? I do think that there should be some kind of wait period (which should be random imo) but if a trainer has an ultimate desire to lose an unwinnable battle, can't really stop them.
Am I a ghost or a man? Or a man-ghost offspring that come from mi father's inexplicable penetration of mi mother's ghostly woman parts? Or am I a child imitating a man's ability to change into a ghostly form in order to preserve mi appellation?

"She's so sharp, depressed teenagers use her to cut themselves."  - Greg Gutfeld

Offline neokills

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 01:07:10 AM »
by having a wait period if you lose, it would make the game even more challenging, because you dont know the type of pokemon the gym leader will have and you dont know how strong they will be, so if you go into a gym battle and you can not win, you should not be able to jsut run back in and challenge him again. there should be a consequence for losing a battle because you were unprepared.

So if there is not a wait period( which I think there should be), then there should be some other consequence for if/when you lose.

-lose 25% or 50% of the current amount of money you have
-lose a trainer level
-your pokemon lose trust/friendship/loyalty level

This will make players prepare themselves for a battle, because then no one will want to white out because of the consequence.

This will make the game more challenging and unique.

Offline Mr Pokemon

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • I'm not dead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 01:10:56 AM »
Keep in mind that somebody will - even if it is not allowed - post the Pokemon that each gym leader has, and what levels they are. People will read this, and know exactly how to prepare for their gym battles. However, they will feel guilty for a long time. Hahaha!

Offline neokills

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 02:40:36 AM »
yeah but if all the gym battles were simple and easy like you guys want it then it wouldn't be as much fun, because anybody at all could easily get all the badges with no effort

Offline neokills

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 02:46:52 AM »
the gyms should be very hard an challenging so that not everyone can just win, therefore when u win a gym badge it actually feels like an accomplishment.

Think about the normal pokemon games, every single person who plays it wins the game, and they can all easily get every pokemon in the game. they are no challenge at all.

You shouldn't want the game to be easy just you can simply beat it and forget it. this game should be very hard so that when you beat a gym leader or actually accomplish something then you have a higher sense of satisfaction for your hard work.

Instead of being one of those whiny people who just want the game to be easy as possible and get everything your way just so you could do it, you should want the game to be more challenging so that way the weak/lame trainers cant do what you did and your badge actually means something

Offline Raikt

• Balancer of stuff
  • Good Trainer
  • I punch Creepers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 08:39:24 AM »
Phew. Topics move fast around here. (Or maybe I'm just slow...)

I was actually just thinking about this the other day after reading the newest posts in the other Gym Leader thread. It's like you guys here always know what is on my mind. I consider that a good thing. Anyway, to answer your question, I'm for a wait period in which a player cannot challenge a Gym Leader again. My thought was around ~2 hours. This gives them ample time to go train, learn, try out some new combinations, but without being overly annoying. (If you ask me.)

It also stops one, crucial thing; power leveling. There would be, unless we did something odd like giving  you no experience, no way to stop someone from power leveling their Pokemon by just losing over and over again while still accumulating experience. Trust me. People would do this; in fact, I can guarantee it would happen unless we impose some form of limit to Gym Battles.

The battles are already going to be hard, to stop people from breezing through them. I'll make sure of that myself. (Talent trees, IV's, and movesets if you will.) So, I can pretty much assue you that, unless you know what you are doing, the Gym Leaders aren't going to be anything like in the handheld games. I think people will enjoy it more this way. C/D that with me, but would you really want an MMO you can beat in like a week?

Another thing I think is that, once you beat a Gym Leader, there will be a wait period before you can challenge the next one. One to two days, at the most. Again, some people might see this as a drag, but with seventeen gyms, this will add a lot of playability while giving you incentive to explore and try other things out.

I think I started to ramble, lol, but I hope that answers your question. That's what I intend with PU, and I'll bring it up when we come to it.
Weekly awesomsauce: www.collegehumor.com/video/6359051/wow-jason-statham-really-wants-wow
Daily awesomesauce: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn4uonU_uj0
I have a proud tradition of failure to uphold.
Updated awesomesauce!**

Offline Amphi

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Good Trainer
  • Neko -----> <(^.^)>
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 12:06:47 AM »

Battling Gym leaders are only a good way of leveling up your team if you win....

Why allow a player to continue to lose over and over again? I do think that there should be some kind of wait period (which should be random imo) but if a trainer has an ultimate desire to lose an unwinnable battle, can't really stop them.

you see you're wrong about this you don't have to win to continue to level you team up while fighting a gym leader, your pokemon still gain exp even if you lose the whole battle so yeah you do gain exp for even losing to a leader

Offline neokills

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 07:49:58 PM »

I was actually just thinking about this the other day after reading the newest posts in the other Gym Leader thread. It's like you guys here always know what is on my mind. I consider that a good thing. Anyway, to answer your question, I'm for a wait period in which a player cannot challenge a Gym Leader again. My thought was around ~2 hours. This gives them ample time to go train, learn, try out some new combinations, but without being overly annoying. (If you ask me.)

It also stops one, crucial thing; power leveling. There would be, unless we did something odd like giving  you no experience, no way to stop someone from power leveling their Pokemon by just losing over and over again while still accumulating experience. Trust me. People would do this; in fact, I can guarantee it would happen unless we impose some form of limit to Gym Battles.

The battles are already going to be hard, to stop people from breezing through them. I'll make sure of that myself. (Talent trees, IV's, and movesets if you will.) So, I can pretty much assue you that, unless you know what you are doing, the Gym Leaders aren't going to be anything like in the handheld games. I think people will enjoy it more this way. C/D that with me, but would you really want an MMO you can beat in like a week?

Another thing I think is that, once you beat a Gym Leader, there will be a wait period before you can challenge the next one. One to two days, at the most. Again, some people might see this as a drag, but with seventeen gyms, this will add a lot of playability while giving you incentive to explore and try other things out.

I think I started to ramble, lol, but I hope that answers your question. That's what I intend with PU, and I'll bring it up when we come to it.

I like all this, and I'm glad there will be a wait in between gyms also, now no one will be able to just fly through all the gyms, they will actually have to play and experience all the other features of the game.

Offline Amphi

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Good Trainer
  • Neko -----> <(^.^)>
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 09:43:27 PM »

I like all this, and I'm glad there will be a wait in between gyms also, now no one will be able to just fly through all the gyms, they will actually have to play and experience all the other features of the game.

Raikt never confirmed that there would be a waiting period... you act like he did

Offline Frenchfry

• Good Trainer
  • I woke up with a clown's hand in my pants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 01:51:22 AM »
Raikt never confirmed that there would be a waiting period... you act like he did
He isn't really. All he said was that there should be a wait period between fighting two seperate gyms.
Anywhoo, this sounds like a good idea to me, but I don't get the penalty of losing a trainer level for losing a match. Sure, it would make people be more prepared before the fights, but, 'cmon, don't all the old wise men always say that you learn more from losing than you fdo from winning? it's true. so why would your trainer get worse at training pokemon just because he lost a battle? Granted, making him improve would just make the game too easy, but, c'mon...

Offline Amphi

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Good Trainer
  • Neko -----> <(^.^)>
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 03:20:18 AM »
He isn't really. All he said was that there should be a wait period between fighting two seperate gyms.
Anywhoo, this sounds like a good idea to me, but I don't get the penalty of losing a trainer level for losing a match. Sure, it would make people be more prepared before the fights, but, 'cmon, don't all the old wise men always say that you learn more from losing than you fdo from winning? it's true. so why would your trainer get worse at training pokemon just because he lost a battle? Granted, making him improve would just make the game too easy, but, c'mon...

actually neokills is assuming Raikt did here

Offline Frenchfry

• Good Trainer
  • I woke up with a clown's hand in my pants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 04:42:19 AM »
Huh. I must've missed that one. Whoopsies.

Offline Amphi

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Good Trainer
  • Neko -----> <(^.^)>
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2010, 05:12:08 AM »
Huh. I must've missed that one. Whoopsies.

yeah oh well it happens