* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Keeping pokemon as pets!  (Read 4167 times)

Offline zOMG!

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
Keeping pokemon as pets!
« on: July 09, 2010, 09:02:12 AM »
Can't explain it more. The game will be a bit more lifelike :)
Luxray.

Offline Urmel

• Founder/Developer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Trainer
  • You are now blinking manually
    • View Profile
Re: Keeping pokemon as pets!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 12:59:35 PM »
It's kind of a problem that you can't explain it more :P Because now I don't know what you mean exactly. Do you mean that there should be the possibility to feed your Pokemon? Or let them walking around freely in your home? Or..?

Offline LeoReborn

• Good Trainer
  • Through the pain, I've been reborn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 02:53:09 PM »
'Pet', Pokemon, The term pet, its almost demeaning. Pokemon are family. Like any other "pet".

Anyway, You mean washing it, feeding it, grooming it, waking at 2 am if it wants to sleep with you...... Anything else?
By loving so many, I have touched their lives and helped them rebirth as well. To be strong is to instill strength in another.

Offline zOMG!

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 04:03:56 PM »
Yeah, exactly, feeding, playing with, buying toys and things in your home for it.
Luxray.

Offline Frenchfry

• Good Trainer
  • I woke up with a clown's hand in my pants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 03:42:23 AM »
'Pet', Pokemon, The term pet, its almost demeaning. Pokemon are family. Like any other "pet".

Anyway, You mean washing it, feeding it, grooming it, waking at 2 am if it wants to sleep with you...... Anything else?
In short, mundane. you're bassically suggesting we have pokemon be mobile decorations in the houses that require a constant flow of cash to be put into. I don't like that concept, honestly. To require you feed them just for the sake of realism would be the equivalent of making your avatar have to stop and tie his shoe every few meters, or having to supply yourself and all your pokemon with a regular amount of food, and if you don't, they all get malnourished and you go to jail for animal abuse. Maybe just having a few items for sale for your house that are, maybe, a vulpix or a pikachu that would move around in your house, but not pets. Besides, to be able to do this with all pokemon would cause a tremendous amound of sprite-drawing for a very small and inimportant feature.

Offline Sora

• Normal Trainer
  • Nothing is as dear and precious as time~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 08:02:32 PM »
I'm with the idea of haveing a possability of placeing 2 or 3 pokemon, that you caught in your house (if we will have them) and then, they freely move around, maybe do a trick if you speak to them or like... give them a poffin, but not need any special attention. Pokemon, that you could have would be something like Pikachu, Vulpix, Gorwlithe, Skitty,... I would never - for example have an Onix as my pet  :P  Something like the 'cute' selecion of pokemon in Diamond/Pearl/Platnium.
My siggy just got attacked by zubat.

Offline Quote

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 02:17:09 AM »
In case you don't want to read the whole thing I made a delicious TLDR'd version just for you guys. (Too long didn't read for you people out there.)

TLDR; Pokemon are not animals. They are only shaped like them some of the time, and so you think they are. Just because they are on all fours, and eat pellets, doesn't mean they're animals.

My 2 cents:

Why don't all your pokemon come out when you're at your house? I mean, it's at your house, you gotta lay back. Be cool, and throw your pokeballs in the air and somehow catch them all when they come back to you. That's how the cool kids do it. Haven't you seen the television show? Gosh, guys, you gotta learn dis.

No, seriously, keeping them as pets is kinda silly.
1.) You're never going to be home. That's like in an MMO where you're always in your starting area.

2.) If they somehow make it to where crap revolves around your house, and you're always near it and can go to it, I'm pretty sure that just having all of your pokemon around the house would be just as good.

To keep a personal pet would be silly. Besides, pokemon are as humanistic as, well, humans. They understand the (insert language) language perfectly, can nearly communicate with humans with simple actions, are quite civilized to make their own cultures in some areas. I mean sure, they are animals, I guess you "could" say but calling them "animals" is like calling a human an "animal."

Technically humans are animals, but we refer to ourselves as humans. Why? Because it's insulting to be called an "animal" because it almost demeans us. I'm pretty sure a pokemon, which has emotions just like a human, would probably feel the same way.

If you've watched the show they aren't treated as pets. They are almost treated as children. The only reason they're treated as pets is because of their form, which usually shows them on all fours, and the food they eat are some kind of pellets. Which, if you watched, people like to eat too.

Now lets look at mister mime. A pokemon, in ashes house, who has hands, feet, and can maneuver as a human. He's treated like a maid correct? I always thought of it more like a child doing his chores. The reason he looks so "humanistic" is because of his anatomy. Because he is shaped like a human your mind registers him being treated as one, I would assume. This is not the case.

Watching the show people say how the pokemon they have are like a child to them. Sure some pet owners are like that, but in this show it's more like your family.

Besides. You can only have 6 pokemon at a time. The reason ash has some at home is because his mom is there, and technically they're hers. I would assume that at least.

If you could have pets you could have infinite at your house. Which means if someone pokemon dueled you at your house you'd GANK THEM WITH HUNDREDS AND HUNDREDS OF POKEMON.
BIDOOFS. BIDOOFS EVERYWHERE.

Wow, for some reason I sound slightly butthurt. Huh. Wow I didn't know I'd turn that into a rant.
Oh well 2 cents deposited.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 02:20:42 AM by Quote »

Offline DarK_SouL

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 02:45:51 AM »
In case you don't want to read the whole thing I made a delicious TLDR'd version just for you guys. (Too long didn't read for you people out there.)

TLDR; Pokemon are not animals. They are only shaped like them some of the time, and so you think they are. Just because they are on all fours, and eat pellets, doesn't mean they're animals.

My 2 cents:

Why don't all your pokemon come out when you're at your house? I mean, it's at your house, you gotta lay back. Be cool, and throw your pokeballs in the air and somehow catch them all when they come back to you. That's how the cool kids do it. Haven't you seen the television show? Gosh, guys, you gotta learn dis.

No, seriously, keeping them as pets is kinda silly.
1.) You're never going to be home. That's like in an MMO where you're always in your starting area.

2.) If they somehow make it to where crap revolves around your house, and you're always near it and can go to it, I'm pretty sure that just having all of your pokemon around the house would be just as good.

To keep a personal pet would be silly. Besides, pokemon are as humanistic as, well, humans. They understand the (insert language) language perfectly, can nearly communicate with humans with simple actions, are quite civilized to make their own cultures in some areas. I mean sure, they are animals, I guess you "could" say but calling them "animals" is like calling a human an "animal."

Technically humans are animals, but we refer to ourselves as humans. Why? Because it's insulting to be called an "animal" because it almost demeans us. I'm pretty sure a pokemon, which has emotions just like a human, would probably feel the same way.

If you've watched the show they aren't treated as pets. They are almost treated as children. The only reason they're treated as pets is because of their form, which usually shows them on all fours, and the food they eat are some kind of pellets. Which, if you watched, people like to eat too.

Now lets look at mister mime. A pokemon, in ashes house, who has hands, feet, and can maneuver as a human. He's treated like a maid correct? I always thought of it more like a child doing his chores. The reason he looks so "humanistic" is because of his anatomy. Because he is shaped like a human your mind registers him being treated as one, I would assume. This is not the case.

Watching the show people say how the pokemon they have are like a child to them. Sure some pet owners are like that, but in this show it's more like your family.

Besides. You can only have 6 pokemon at a time. The reason ash has some at home is because his mom is there, and technically they're hers. I would assume that at least.

If you could have pets you could have infinite at your house. Which means if someone pokemon dueled you at your house you'd GANK THEM WITH HUNDREDS AND HUNDREDS OF POKEMON.
BIDOOFS. BIDOOFS EVERYWHERE.

Wow, for some reason I sound slightly butthurt. Huh. Wow I didn't know I'd turn that into a rant.
Oh well 2 cents deposited.

I'm with Quote. You should just when you do rarely visit your house be able to let your Pokemon out but when you leave you gotta make them come.

the second one is more like an animal but they are the SAME species.
Also like he said they are more Human like does the first one look like an animal?
Friend DarkerSou1 on Xbox Live, tell me who you is tho.

Offline Sora

• Normal Trainer
  • Nothing is as dear and precious as time~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 07:19:14 PM »
Yea,... I guess that, if you look at it this way, they can't be kept as pets.
The idea of automatically releasing them when you enter your home is shurely one of the best ones I heard.
My siggy just got attacked by zubat.