* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Retro or Next generation  (Read 6863 times)

Offline Gold

• Beginning Trainer
  • 10 geek points if you know the spell is Ereshkigal
    • View Profile
Retro or Next generation
« on: August 14, 2010, 03:15:39 PM »
What do you guys prefer here on PU. Retro games or the Next generation games

ex. Legend of Zelda a link to the past(Snes) vs. TP (wii) - Street Fighter 2 turbo (snes) vs. Super Street Fighter 4 (xbox 360) - Sonic 2(Genesis) - Sonic 4 (xbox 360)

I personally prefer the old school games. Not saying the new ones are bad, just saying that I prefer the older games. Maybe nostalgia, but I think it is because they had to try harder back then. Now you say your making a new Zelda game a million people drop their jaw and are ready to pre order right there regardless of the quality of the game (granted for the new zelda I would be one of those people im not trying to put down on anyone). Back then you really couldn't get a large number of game sales unless the game was good, so... they had to try harder and make better games.

But thats just my opinion what do you guys think?
~A New Life~

Offline LeoReborn

• Good Trainer
  • Through the pain, I've been reborn.
    • View Profile
Re: Retro or Next generation
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 03:20:27 PM »
Retro, mainly for nostalgia, Glitches....
By loving so many, I have touched their lives and helped them rebirth as well. To be strong is to instill strength in another.

Offline Gold

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 03:27:30 PM »
Ah yes the glitches, one thing I do love is that old games dont have to worry about having their glitches patched.  :D
~A New Life~

Offline LeoReborn

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 03:28:41 PM »
Especially Pokemon Gen I
By loving so many, I have touched their lives and helped them rebirth as well. To be strong is to instill strength in another.

Offline Gold

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 03:34:03 PM »
A wild Missingno has appeared :P
~A New Life~

Offline UnationConsideration

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 03:35:14 PM »
A wild Missingno has appeared :P
Missingno is now a pokemon.
Feed My pokemon please I dont want it to die of hunger!
Wont you please feed that cute face?

Offline LeoReborn

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 03:39:38 PM »
Well, Sorta....

Red caught Missingno
Red Caught Ditto.

Red now has @?= Rare Candies

Offline UnationConsideration

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 03:47:31 PM »
Well, Sorta....

Red caught Missingno
Red Caught Ditto.

http://ds.kombo.com/article.php?artid=8096
Feed My pokemon please I dont want it to die of hunger!
Wont you please feed that cute face?

Offline LeoReborn

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 03:51:06 PM »

Red caught Victini
Red Caught Ditto.

Victini Evolved Into Kangaskhan

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 06:32:52 PM »
Well, what I prefer or don't like won't change what will PU be... some like changes, while others don't. The team is only trying to make the game appealing to the maximum people out there who like pokemon games and would like to play it in an 'extended' way. Those who like the old pokemon can use the old pokemon if they want, while the new pokemon will be available to those who like the new ones.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline ghostman50

• Contributor
  • Normal Trainer
  • Blah Blah Blah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 07:24:05 PM »
Next Gen, obviously.

Though the retro games laid the foundation, they are still crap by today's standards.

Yea, nostalgia's nice but no one would seriously pass up Halo:Reach for Metroid.
Am I a ghost or a man? Or a man-ghost offspring that come from mi father's inexplicable penetration of mi mother's ghostly woman parts? Or am I a child imitating a man's ability to change into a ghostly form in order to preserve mi appellation?

"She's so sharp, depressed teenagers use her to cut themselves."  - Greg Gutfeld

Offline Silver

• Pixel Artist
  • Normal Trainer
  • Touhou Encyclopedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 08:34:17 PM »
Next Gen, obviously.

Though the retro games laid the foundation, they are still crap by today's standards.

Yea, nostalgia's nice but no one would seriously pass up Halo:Reach for Metroid.

It depends. Because if you consider 2002's Metroid Prime a retro game, Halo:Reach can go be the fanboy fuel that it already is.

Personally, I don't care when the game came out. It just has to be a good game. And there are alot of old games that can easily be considered better than todays games. Just because its newer, doesn't mean its automatically better than the games that have come before it.

Starfox 64, Super mario 64, Golden eye, Twisted Metal, they were all better quality then  things like Gears of War or Call of Duty: Modern Warefare 2. They just don't look as pretty.
The thrill in playing a game does not come from our chances of winning. It is the weight and pressure of losing that fuels our fascination. It is why people challenge, why they gamble and why they compete. The adrenaline that comes from defying defeat is what motivates us.

Offline Gold

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 01:10:34 AM »
Next Gen, obviously.

It depends. Because if you consider 2002's Metroid Prime a retro game, Halo:Reach can go be the fanboy fuel that it already is.

Personally, I don't care when the game came out. It just has to be a good game. And there are alot of old games that can easily be considered better than todays games. Just because its newer, doesn't mean its automatically better than the games that have come before it.

Starfox 64, Super mario 64, Golden eye, Twisted Metal, they were all better quality then  things like Gears of War or Call of Duty: Modern Warefare 2. They just don't look as pretty.

Actually I really like Trainer Silver's point. Retro is a term that can differentiate between people. So may consider even halo 2 (only 5 years) retro while others may not. So yeah age really doesn't matter its just people like good games.

~A New Life~

Offline chocobo

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 05:58:30 PM »
I'd pick retro over anything new. My favorite console ever created was the Super Nintendo. I spent more time on that thing than my PS2 and Xbox combined. Aside from the DS Lite I haven't gotten a system newer than an xbox.

If this is a question directed at PC gamers though, definitely newer generation games. 98-present. As much as I loved Wolfenstein, Doom, and hell, even DOS games, I'd much rather play Oblivion, Unreal Tournament, Quake III, and the original Call of Duties more than them.

Offline Gold

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 07:09:41 PM »

I'd pick retro over anything new. My favorite console ever created was the Super Nintendo. I spent more time on that thing than my PS2 and Xbox combined. Aside from the DS Lite I haven't gotten a system newer than an xbox.

If this is a question directed at PC gamers though, definitely newer generation games. 98-present. As much as I loved Wolfenstein, Doom, and hell, even DOS games, I'd much rather play Oblivion, Unreal Tournament, Quake III, and the original Call of Duties more than them.

YAY another super nintendo lover. What games did you have for your super nintendo?
~A New Life~