* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Cheats and stuff  (Read 11003 times)

Offline partyprash

• Member Design Team
  • Contributor
  • Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
    • PartyPrashVideos
Cheats and stuff
« on: October 08, 2010, 04:22:24 PM »
I dont believe this has been discussed yet...
have you guys planned how to prevent little cheats and hacks people can do.. like make multiple accounts and trading all starter pokemon to themselves and stuff...

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
Re: Cheats and stuff
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 05:48:17 PM »
I think that if the team ensures that the IP of players is different, that will already be a big step :)

(ie, if two players share the same IP, they'll be watched closely)

As for hacking, cheating, etc, I trust them about knowing how to handle that :)
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline Viper

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • The One and Only
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 06:32:59 AM »
I dont believe this has been discussed yet...
have you guys planned how to prevent little cheats and hacks people can do.. like make multiple accounts and trading all starter pokemon to themselves and stuff...

I dont think making multiple accounts and trading the starters over would be cheating..... would it?

Offline Raikt

• Balancer of stuff
  • Good Trainer
  • I punch Creepers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 10:40:00 AM »
multiple accounts

This could easily be taken care of in many ways. Most likely, signing up will be pretty relaxed. However, if this becomes a pressing concern we could always link accounts forum names. (Less messy than IP addresses for people who live in dorms and whatnot.) Then we could just watch forum names instead. Or there could be another solution I didn't notice. The team is made up of some pretty intelligent people.

trading all starter pokemon

Two ways to prevent this will already be a part of the game. One being that trading will not be accessible right away. You will have to earn the right to trade with other players. The second being that, seeing as you have to have at least one Pokemon with you at the time. (And trading won't be coming early), then it will be more of a hassle to try and exploit like this than just getting the Pokemon naturally as the game progresses.

stuff...

Mr_Dark can be quite persuasive when it comes to doing naughty things you shouldn't be doing. I have faith he will... right any wrongs committed by anyone on the forums.

Weekly awesomsauce: www.collegehumor.com/video/6359051/wow-jason-statham-really-wants-wow
Daily awesomesauce: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn4uonU_uj0
I have a proud tradition of failure to uphold.
Updated awesomesauce!**

Offline Monzta

• CharlesedickNB
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • Effectively.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 01:02:38 PM »
my bro has an account on PU, how can you be so sure that when we trade it's the same person?

Offline Frenchfry

• Good Trainer
  • I woke up with a clown's hand in my pants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 05:56:01 PM »
>>
l.l
<<
It isn't possible to prevent all hacking. Nobody's done that. Not even multi-million dollar companies like Bungee or Kojima Productions. People will hack, and there isn't really much that can be done about it, except ban them when they do.
Granted, hacking won't be that easy, but... You just CAN'T expect all forms of hacking to be eliminated.

Offline Level5Pidgey

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • Use Gust!
    • View Profile
    • Pidgey's Philosophical Game Design
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 04:48:53 AM »
Often, preventing cheats is a start.
I can't speak officially on this issue, but a common idea in game development, is if players don't feel like they need to/want to cheat, they won't try.

For example, if Starters are catchable in some areas of the game, people will be less likely to risk their account by making several to trade to their original one.
Similarly, if levelling is fun, and there's little grinding and annoyance involved - people will not try to hack their Pokemon, etc. (Obviously, there will be security measures to stop people from altering database files, too.)

By making a good rewarding game, you can stop a lot of cheating.
When I propose game mechanics and changes - I always try to think of whether this will affect the player positively, and if it could stop players from cheating to try to get the upper hand.

If everything feels manageable and fair, players generally won't cheat.

GameOp Spoliers:
[spoiler]One risk area I have to deal with that can be the cause of cheating is IVs, whose random nature can entice players into hacking them to not be gimped by a 31 stat difference.
Currently I am trying to have suggestions implemented to make IVs a little less random, and a little more player friendly.

Hidden Power is also in talks, as it is essential on a number of Pokemon for attack coverage. A suggestion I have made is trying to make it so you can have your Type and Power set by an NPC (who would need to be paid), or some other system - so people who *would* look towards cheating to get the right Hidden power simply don't need to.

As these ideas are still in the suggestion stage, I can't say if they will be implemented or not, but here's hoping! [/spoiler]
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 05:19:31 AM by Level5Pidgey »
Read my Game Design Blog!

And that one, lone, distressed flying Krabby went on to become the most powerful being in the Universe.

Offline Viper

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • The One and Only
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 04:54:11 AM »
Often, preventing cheats is a start.
I can't speak officially on this issue, but a common idea in game development, is if players don't feel like they need to/want to cheat, they won't try.

For example, if Starters are catchable in some areas of the game, people will be less likely to risk their account by making several to trade to their original one.
Similarly, if levelling is fun, and there's little grinding and annoyance involved - people will not try to hack their Pokemon, etc. (Obviously, there will be security measures to stop people from altering database files, too.)

By making a good rewarding game, you can stop a lot of cheating.
When I propose game mechanics and changes - I always try to think of whether this will affect the player positively, and if it could stop players from cheating to try to get the upper hand.

If everything feels manageable and fair, players generally won't cheat.

GameOp Spoliers:
[spoiler]One risk area I have to deal with that can be the cause of cheating is IVs, whose random nature can entice players into hacking them to not be gimped by a 31 stat difference.
Currently I am trying to have suggestions implemented to make IVs a little less random, and a little more player friendly.

Hidden Power is also in talks, as it is essential on a number of Pokemon for attack coverage. A suggestion I have made is trying to make it so you can have your Type and Power set by an NPC (who would need to be paid), or some other system - so people who *would* look towards cheating to get the right Hidden power simply don't need to.

As these ideas are still in the suggestion stage, I can't say if they will be implemented or not, but here's hoping! [/spoiler]

Ooooo i like that idea about Hidden Power's type and power being set by an NPC. Would save alot of trouble for us and would help out alot. +1 to that
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 05:20:18 AM by Level5Pidgey »

Offline Monzta

• CharlesedickNB
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • Effectively.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 12:18:59 PM »
So can you answer my question?

Offline Level5Pidgey

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • Use Gust!
    • View Profile
    • Pidgey's Philosophical Game Design
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 12:04:24 AM »
So can you answer my question?

I can't, no.
Though, I don't see why we'd have much of a problem with mult accounts anyway.
Read my Game Design Blog!

And that one, lone, distressed flying Krabby went on to become the most powerful being in the Universe.

Offline DrPinkies

• Beginning Trainer
  • IMA FIRIN MAH LAZAR!!! pew pew...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 01:08:02 AM »
If shiny's and/or specia pokemon are in the game, multi accounting is definately a threat, especially if quests give you pokemon/eggs/fossils like in other pokemon games.

Offline LeoReborn

• Good Trainer
  • Through the pain, I've been reborn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 02:37:45 AM »
If shiny's and/or specia pokemon are in the game, multi accounting is definately a threat, especially if quests give you pokemon/eggs/fossils like in other pokemon games.

There is way to counter that.
Watch Carefully.
By loving so many, I have touched their lives and helped them rebirth as well. To be strong is to instill strength in another.

Offline DrPinkies

• Beginning Trainer
  • IMA FIRIN MAH LAZAR!!! pew pew...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 02:53:31 AM »
Watch Carefully?

*whistles patiently*

Offline Mr_Dark

• PU God
  • Administrator
  • Senior Trainer
  • QQ
    • View Profile
    • Dark Productions
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 03:53:36 PM »
"Bound on Acquire"
IRC: #pokemon-universe @ Rizon.net

!!PRIVATE MESSAGES WITHOUT A SUBJECT WILL NOT BE READ!!

Quote from: Frenchfry545
That settles it. I'm starting a new religion. It's called "Misterdarkism".

Offline Baka

• Normal Trainer
  • Troublemaker
    • View Profile
    • Deviant
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 11:32:10 PM »
Yupp, as darkie explained, starter pokemon will be bound to the player, hence you cannot trade them.