* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Evolution Stones/Trades  (Read 8264 times)

Offline Skojaren

• New Trainer
    • View Profile
Evolution Stones/Trades
« on: June 18, 2011, 01:52:59 AM »
I personally don't like that you have to either use a stone or trade pokemon with some special item to make them evolve. And also that if you evolve by stone your pokemon can not learn more abilities from leveling up.

So let's get into the suggestion.
I think that pokemon who only can evolve through stones or trades should get a specific level they evolve instead like the rest of the pokemon and that they can still learn spells from leveling up. It can't only be me who found this annoying when playing?

Agree or disagree, give feedback :)

Offline Level5Pidgey

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • Use Gust!
    • View Profile
    • Pidgey's Philosophical Game Design
Re: Evolution Stones/Trades
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 02:33:03 AM »
And so what about Pokemon with divergent evolutionary paths?
Such as Poliwhirl?

Even so, this isn't really a problem in Pokemon - in fact, being able to evolve your Pokemon when you want is great with these Pokes.
I never thought I'd hear a complaint about something this =/
Read my Game Design Blog!

And that one, lone, distressed flying Krabby went on to become the most powerful being in the Universe.

Offline Skojaren

• New Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 02:48:02 AM »
Well the thing that is bothering is that if u maybe evolve to early u won't get the spells that would be really good for your pokemon. And then you cannot get after evolving it. I'm just saying I prefer the normal way that pokemon evolve after getting levels.

(a solution could just be that ur pokemon can still learn spells after evolving with a stone/trade)

This is also more realistic since with levels the pokemon gets stronger and then the evolution should take place. This is just what I think, was curious too see if other people have had the same thoughts as me.

Don't look at is like a complaint, just like a different point of view/suggestion for improvement.

Offline Shadowfred

• Gameplay Balancer/Pretty cool guy
  • PU Team
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 04:52:21 AM »
Pidgey already covered divergent evolutions, so I won't go over that.

The thing is, all pokemon who evolve by trade can still learn moves, and about half (maybe more) of the pokemon who evolve by stone can still learn moves.

So in the select few cases where a pokemon doesn't learn moves after stone evolution, I would suggest instead having a warning along the lines of "This pokemon will no longer learn moves through levelling up after evolving into <evolution> are you sure you want to use <stone type>?"

For example, a growlithe would have <evolution> as Arcanine and <stone type> as Fire Stone.

"This pokemon will no longer learn moves through levelling up after evolving into Arcanine are you sure you want to use Fire Stone?"

Offline Kamaran

• Lead Mapper
  • PU Team
  • Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 09:59:46 AM »
I'm pretty sure we're gonna have a "are you sure"-button no matter what. Would be pain in the ass the have used several hours getting a evolution stone and then use it on the wrong Pokemon or at the wrong time.

I don't see why we should have a warning telling the trainers that they might be dumbasses for using a firestone on Growlithe at level 15. I mean it's a trainer's choice to evolve it. It's not like you're forced by the game.
"Don't touch the poster at the Game Corner! There's no secret switch behind it!"

Offline genbor

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • If you die, don't come crying to me about it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 10:59:59 AM »
 I think adding the text Shadowfred suggested would be better though... You have a point Kamaran, but many players would be minors or people who don't really get all the technical details and just like to go with the flow (also I'm pretty sure many people who haven't played Pokémon or didn't want to would try PU out sometime).

And if you think about this: In the game, it didn't really matter that much. The in the game trainers would usually let you win by choosing Leer instead of Crunch. But in a competitive game with a large playerbase, his ignorance would cost him several hours of leveling only to find he can't learn new moves anymore.

So anyways, he might get really frustrated and stop playing. I think it's a good idea, and it would only be harder to implement than the "Are you sure?" button because it would have to be specified when to pop up. So i second Shadowfred's idea...

PS: Of course mistakes are made all the time so only the most critical ones should get a more detailed warning like this.
It's ghost dammit, GHOST!

Offline Flynt

• Balance Tester
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 01:07:56 PM »
PIkachu should be evolved after lv 49.

Offline PkMn Trainer Black

• Good Trainer
  • Everyone's changing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 01:19:18 PM »
PIkachu should be evolved after lv 49.

No. wrong place. is this topic done?
Even if one person steales waht you deserve, your reward will be even better than the last if you head down the right path.

Showdown Username: Shining Darkness

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 08:38:34 PM »
Also, there will be a move relearner (I think? Someone can confirm?) who will be able to give the pokemon in question its previous moves in many of the pokemon which were evolved by those methods.

Otherwise, if a player makes his pokemon evolve earlier than which would be better, then that's up to him and he is the only one who will suffer from that.

Which is, I just realised, what Kamaran basically meant.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline Amphi

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Good Trainer
  • Neko -----> <(^.^)>
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 09:41:13 PM »
Think of this like the anime scenario between Ash and Lt Surge early on it is easy to just

evolve a pokemon using a stone so as to give a little advantage over the competition, but as you

all know, the people that wait to evolve them will get the benefits of better moves in the end.  So

basically I think the system should just stay as is, and leave it up to the trainer themselves.  Also

to Jerry, if I remember correctly the move re-learner guy can only make it so a pokemon can

learn moves that it would have missed since it didn't evolve at its normal level.  Take Blaziken for

example if one was to level up a torchic to the level where it learns flamethrower then evolve it to

its final form then you could have blaziken "relearn" blaze kick, which it missed because it evolved

much later.  But if one did the opposite and evolved the torchic following its normal evolution path

then it wouldn't be able to learn flamethrower due to blaziken not actually having flamethrower in

its leveling up moveset.
Never Underestimate the Kindness of other Humans.

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 09:47:09 PM »
My point was that some of the moves that the pre-evolution learns is also in the moveset of the evolved pokemon, just that the evolved pokemon has it 'learned' by default.

Example: Pikachu, level 5.
The moves are Growl and Thundershock.
Evolve, and take to the move relearner and you get a Raichu with thunderbolt too.

Of course, not all the moves are there, but you have some.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....

Offline Amphi

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Good Trainer
  • Neko -----> <(^.^)>
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 11:21:33 PM »
My point was that some of the moves that the pre-evolution learns is also in the moveset of the evolved pokemon, just that the evolved pokemon has it 'learned' by default.

Example: Pikachu, level 5.
The moves are Growl and Thundershock.
Evolve, and take to the move relearner and you get a Raichu with thunderbolt too.

Of course, not all the moves are there, but you have some.

Yes as you said not all of the moves are able to be relearned if the pokemon evolved didn't learn it already, a lot of those moves are "staple" moves. I seem to remember that when i would evolve my pikachu early on and tried to have raichu relearn thunderbolt via heartscale guy it wouldn't be on the list even if raichu was of the proper level that pikachu would learn it.  Of course this was in R/S/E/FR/LG soo my information may be outdated, but i do like the current system. I really don't think it should be changed
Never Underestimate the Kindness of other Humans.

Offline Level5Pidgey

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • Use Gust!
    • View Profile
    • Pidgey's Philosophical Game Design
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 02:19:20 PM »
Also yeah, it's awesome to have all your moves bred/TM'd onto an Eevee, and then you just Flareon it at level 1 and start OHKOing level 5s.
Read my Game Design Blog!

And that one, lone, distressed flying Krabby went on to become the most powerful being in the Universe.

Offline Wire

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 02:56:04 PM »
Heres an idea for the eevee form such as umbreon and leafeon use a moonstone on an eevee to get umbreon or a leaf or sun stone for a leafeon i used to think thats how you got them in the game.

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 02:57:31 PM »
Actually, if that was changed, a Leaf Stone would be more appropriate for Leafeon and a Sun Stone for Espeon.