* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: HM Slot  (Read 17174 times)

Offline ghandor

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
Re: HM Slot
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 04:50:13 AM »
i have often wondered why the limited it to four attacks. i mean Ash in any series often has his poke use more than four moves in a match.

A good possible alternative would be to add a power rating PR to the pokemon and change the PP of the current system into a power rating cost (that represents the complexity of the move and the effort required). then allow the poke to use any move that they can use for the lvl that they are at (as well as any TM the trainer may have taught them).  Then each level the gain a boost to PR just as they gain a boost to other attributes such as HP/att/def/spd etc. So when the PR is exhausted your pokemon is exhausted. [there could also be an effectiveness modifier to the chance to hit that takes into account training so if you are using a pokemon in you party each day its chance to hit improves - when you stick it in storage/daycare it decreases each day (maybe at a slightly higher rate)].

For Example
a LVL 19 Bulbasaur may have a PR of 78, it then levels to LVL 20 and gains 7PR for a total PR of 85 and gains the use of razor leaf in addition to the other attacks. Like health PR can be recovered at a pokecentre or by using a special potion.

Natural Moves:                   
Level -- - Tackle                   PR 2                 
Level 04 - Growl                   PR 2 
Level 07 - Leech Seed           PR 5
Level 10 - Vine Whip             PR 4     
Level 15 - Poisonpowder        PR 6 
Level 15 - Sleep Powder        PR 6
Level 20 - Razor Leaf            PR 8   
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 04:53:41 AM by ghandor »

Offline Dellancher

• Beginning Trainer
  • jakals in the courtyard
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2010, 03:45:28 AM »
i have often wondered why the limited it to four attacks. i mean Ash in any series often has his poke use more than four moves in a match.

A good possible alternative would be to add a power rating PR to the pokemon and change the PP of the current system into a power rating cost (that represents the complexity of the move and the effort required). then allow the poke to use any move that they can use for the lvl that they are at (as well as any TM the trainer may have taught them).  Then each level the gain a boost to PR just as they gain a boost to other attributes such as HP/att/def/spd etc. So when the PR is exhausted your pokemon is exhausted. [there could also be an effectiveness modifier to the chance to hit that takes into account training so if you are using a pokemon in you party each day its chance to hit improves - when you stick it in storage/daycare it decreases each day (maybe at a slightly higher rate)].

For Example
a LVL 19 Bulbasaur may have a PR of 78, it then levels to LVL 20 and gains 7PR for a total PR of 85 and gains the use of razor leaf in addition to the other attacks. Like health PR can be recovered at a pokecentre or by using a special potion.

Natural Moves:                   
Level -- - Tackle                   PR 2                 
Level 04 - Growl                   PR 2 
Level 07 - Leech Seed           PR 5
Level 10 - Vine Whip             PR 4     
Level 15 - Poisonpowder        PR 6 
Level 15 - Sleep Powder        PR 6
Level 20 - Razor Leaf            PR 8

This is a well thought out idea and I like it.  The only problem I'm seeing is what happens when the PR is 0? Would the pokemon be unusable? Maybe have some attacks at 0.  It would make the game more strategic since you would not be able to use powerhouse attacks over and over again. 

Maybe instead of having to go to the Pokemon center for a refill, it just refills after every battle?
i never sleep, because sleep is the cousin of death

--nasty nas in yo' area

don't be humble, you're not that great

Offline Flawless

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2010, 03:58:41 AM »
I like the idea Ghandor but I think it would be more useful if it Refiled at the end of the battle as Dellancher said.
If tomatoe is a fruit would ketchup be a jam?

Offline Alais

• Normal Trainer
  • I like shorts. They're comfy and easy to wear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2010, 02:23:08 PM »
I like this idea too, but it does mean that you don't have to choose which moves to teach your pokemon, and this does lead to less strategy.
Remember, unless we say it will be included, a Team Member's speculation and ideas are still just speculation and ideas. Though it may be more likely to be included, there are no guarantees!

Please check out our Jobs forum if you would like to help us with the development of Pokemon Universe. We don't bite, but we do have high standards. Hope to see you on IRC!

Offline Dvys

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Beginning Trainer
  • Anime <3
    • View Profile
    • Chip Creations
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2010, 04:58:45 PM »
I'm agree with Alais, but an extra HM-slot wouldn't be so bad  :-X

Edit:
*Reading back*
We're already talking about just changing HM's to "abilities" so they won't have to be put in any attack slot. The HM's will just become normal moves.
YEAH! That rock's!  8)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 05:00:36 PM by Dvys »

Offline chaosdestroyer

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2010, 10:00:02 PM »
great idea that would make the game ten times better
people who live in the past never see whats right in front of them

Offline tap1on

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2010, 06:21:50 AM »
Good idea. It should not be more than one extra slot for HM's IMO.

Offline dtp882

• New Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2010, 11:14:39 AM »
I like ghandor's PR system idea, it makes more sense if it was suppose to agree with the Anime or what not. I wonder how hard that'd be for the Team to implement; the game is probably too far to change something like that.

I don't think the HM slot is too good of an idea but it makes a lot of sense. Maybe if it were implemented you should be able to change the one HM move or else it could get strangely frustrating.

Offline Draagn

• Beginning Trainer
  • My computer has a virus I will be off for a while.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2010, 04:08:08 AM »
I like the pr system the best but what if your pokemon is like level 100 and has a lot f pr well how would you find an attack

Offline Phosphorous

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2010, 12:26:48 PM »
I agree with Delancher.

1 is more than good enough, It's right there in the middle for everyone.

Some people want more slots for an HM, and this just kills some skill in strategy.
While others want no HM slots, to make it real skill.

So again i agree with Dellancher, and I think 1*** HM slot is more than good enough.

Offline Baka

• Normal Trainer
  • Troublemaker
    • View Profile
    • Deviant
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2010, 12:31:00 PM »
There are no HM in PU. Special moves are learned by doing quests. D:

Learning special moves on the other hand, and it's limitation to one move per pokemon is kinda pointless. Why? Because special moves usually don't give much of an effect or any advantage. As for an extra ability slot... why? What if you also want to use it as an attack?

Fill me in if I missed something.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 12:35:33 PM by Bakagringo »

Offline Draagn

• Beginning Trainer
  • My computer has a virus I will be off for a while.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2010, 02:06:38 PM »
wow that whole idea just blew up in one post ??? huh kinda disappointing

Offline Phosphorous

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2010, 09:08:30 PM »
wow that whole idea just blew up in one post ??? huh kinda disappointing

no not really.

Offline Gammal

• Contributor
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2010, 07:43:44 AM »
There are no HM in PU. Special moves are learned by doing quests. D:

Learning special moves on the other hand, and it's limitation to one move per pokemon is kinda pointless. Why? Because special moves usually don't give much of an effect or any advantage. As for an extra ability slot... why? What if you also want to use it as an attack?

Fill me in if I missed something.

Indeed, there are a number of pokemon who for example uses the move SURF as a STAB base attack, its a 100% hit reliable pretty decent water attack if you dont like the miss chance that hydro pump has.
So if your just adding a HM slot to each pokemon, water types would get a HUGE advantage, actully getting 1 extra usable attack.
If you however add an extra moveslot altogether another problem arises. Balance. The thing is you are only allowed to select 4 moves, and by implementing a 5th slot we might be opening up for some really lame combos aswell as imbalance.
Also as it stands today not all pokemon could even utilize 5moves (atleast not as well as others) again making another gap in the meta game.
And with 5 moveslots you could go for 3 support/boost moves+baton pass AND an attack...  Examples;

-Thunder
-Hydropump
-Earthquake
-Fireblast
-Rest

How fun would that be?
Im not sure such a pokemon exists... but yeah, doesnt look to fun does it?

Edit: im actully gonna check for some 5move combos... BRB :)

Aight found one...

Espeon:

- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Baton Pass
- Substitute
- Wish

Now that doesnt look fun at all. Pokemon like this would be the top of the OU meta-game, no competition
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 07:49:49 AM by Gammal »

Offline Declan_23

• Quest/NPC Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2010, 01:23:11 PM »
I think you misunderstood the idea. The plan was to have a slot where an HM could be taught BUT not used in battle. For example the extra slot would only allow you to use the HM to surf on the sea and not to use the attack in a battle.