* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Tournament winners make items?  (Read 6553 times)

Offline Television17

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
Tournament winners make items?
« on: August 15, 2011, 01:17:24 PM »
So, I had a little think (and a quick search in case someone had posted this before (I couldn't see anything)), and I thought, 'Maybe tournament winners in-game can make their own items'?
People who win higher ranked tournaments (I'll assume for the purposes of my idea that there will be a ranking system of sorts so players who're relatively new to the game don't come up against experts) and have a knowledge of competitive battling are the kinds of trainers who know what kinds of items need to be added to the game.
As an example, in Gen V, the Eviolite was introduced. This was my absolute favourite item in the whole generation, as it introduced an amazing way of making previously unusable pokémon usable in competitive play. I had a Dusknoir for a while (I didn't really like him), but when I heard about Eviolite, I immediately bred up a Dusclops with Will-o-Wisp, Pain Split, Curse and Substitute, and I love him to pieces! He's amazing in NFE, takes hits like a tank and deals damage like a boss!
Eviolite is the sort of item I'd like to see more of, the kind of item that makes you go, 'This can work if I do x, y and z to pokémon w, with v ability...' That kind of thing, in my opinion, would be the kind of item that not only has people blindly spamming buttons and grinding, but also thinking about their game and how they can improve, and thinking of new strategies that make interesting pokemon (perhaps like Dunsparce) worth playing.
Now, granted I did note that you guys were 'balancing' the stats so we can use lesser used pokémon, but I think an innovative item creation system (obviously for the people who know what they're doing and not the kinds of people who go 'Hold item deals 9999999999999 damage to my opponent when they attack me') would keep the game interesting and keep old players on their toes as to what they might face, as well as introduce new players with interesting and more bizarre items than they're used to.
Why is a raven like a writing desk?
If you open your mind too much, your brain will fall out...
"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." ~Winston Churchill
The abundance of profanity is the absence of vocabulary.
"I feel like an unsprung spring; like an uncorroded gear! Like an untarnished bit of METAL THAT STICKS IN YOUR EYE!" ~American McGee's Hatter

zylonnick

Re: Tournament winners make items?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 01:26:58 PM »
I don't think many new items would be needed (the pokémon are now being balanced so they can all have their own niche/strength in-game). There are also alot of items already implented in the game. I wouldn't see another reason to make even more items.

Offline Silver

• Pixel Artist
  • Normal Trainer
  • Touhou Encyclopedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 05:11:43 PM »
People could say that they have good intentions and won't abuse something like that, but really, they will. Plus, thats new coding that the programmers have to do for every tournament that is played.
Something like that is too easily overpowered, as well as ruins the entire point of what the balance team is trying to do.

We can't work around an item that doesn't exist, especially one that doesn't have any set description.
The thrill in playing a game does not come from our chances of winning. It is the weight and pressure of losing that fuels our fascination. It is why people challenge, why they gamble and why they compete. The adrenaline that comes from defying defeat is what motivates us.

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 06:52:30 PM »
It is also to note that the Eviolite is already causing some issues with the balancing of some pokemon :P
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline Declan_23

• Quest/NPC Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 07:48:09 PM »
Actually, I quite like the idea, to stop items becoming OP, a slider system could be introduced. The only issue is, would only the creator be allowed to use this item? If not, how would it be spread out to the rest of the players?

Offline genbor

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • If you die, don't come crying to me about it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 08:07:39 PM »
I personally am against it for reasons Silver and Jerry already mentioned. The slider system wouldn't really work. My reasoning? Take a newly created Damaging Item.

Name = Rod of Blood
Damages (here comes the slider part): -1/6+ of Opponent's HP. Now going below 1/6 is not really worth it, going above 1/6 becomes too OP.

What we could do is to add restrictions like: Continuous effects cannot go above 1/6 of a Pokémon's HP. The only differenece would be that he can split it into Heals 1/12 HP of the user, and damages 1/12 hp of the enemy. So it wouldn't be going over the 1/6 but would be more useful in a way.

If you don't like the 1/6 restriction, how bout this: Heals user for 2/6 HP but things like Burn/Poison etc would have also doubled in power.

Like I already said, I don't like this idea, just giving some thoughts that 'might' make it work. That's a HUGE 'might' though.
It's ghost dammit, GHOST!

Offline Bing

• Good Trainer
  • If music be the food of love, play on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 08:13:54 PM »
I'm not really a big fan of created items.  The winner could abuse it way to easily, do you want someone running around with some uber item that has little to no drawbacks?  Ex: Status Orb- Pokemon can only be knocked out my a status effect(burn, etc..), but status effects do double damage.  If your pokemon gets paralyzed it's unstoppable pretty much.

I just don't see the point of user created items.

If anything the winner should be able to choose a non-legendary pokemon and get it.  They could pick the nature and ability.  That would be cool.

Offline Tickles

• Last of the Writers
  • Elite Trainer
  • Currently being awesome... please wait
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 08:16:50 PM »
I'm not really a big fan of created items.  The winner could abuse it way to easily, do you want someone running around with some uber item that has little to no drawbacks?  Ex: Status Orb- Pokemon can only be knocked out my a status effect(burn, etc..), but status effects do double damage.  If your pokemon gets paralyzed it's unstoppable pretty much.

I just don't see the point of user created items.

If anything the winner should be able to choose a non-legendary pokemon and get it.  They could pick the nature and ability.  That would be cool.
choose a non-legend yes. Pick ability and nature, no. That would ruin the balance in my mind, anyone with the mind could take a sableye, make it jolly, and give it wonder guard ability, and a lum berry to cure status effects. It would be unstoppable.
Find me on Steam: Sir Ticklesword

Offline Bing

• Good Trainer
  • If music be the food of love, play on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 08:19:43 PM »
The pokemon would actually have to be able to use the ability.  You can't give a pokemon an ability they just don' already have. 

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 08:23:07 PM »
Abilities are usually restricted to 3, with some (like Shedinja with only Wonder Guard) and the natures can be selected, using an everstone on the female pokemon that you left at the in-game breeder (giving you 50% chance of having the nature passed down)

So this is already there :)
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline Tickles

• Last of the Writers
  • Elite Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 08:27:31 PM »
The pokemon would actually have to be able to use the ability.  You can't give a pokemon an ability they just don' already have. 
You needed to clarify that.

Abilities are usually restricted to 3, with some (like Shedinja with only Wonder Guard) and the natures can be selected, using an everstone on the female pokemon that you left at the in-game breeder (giving you 50% chance of having the nature passed down)

So this is already there :)
And this is true as well.

Offline Silver

• Pixel Artist
  • Normal Trainer
  • Touhou Encyclopedia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 10:36:59 PM »

You shouldn't have to clarify something that is redundant.
The thrill in playing a game does not come from our chances of winning. It is the weight and pressure of losing that fuels our fascination. It is why people challenge, why they gamble and why they compete. The adrenaline that comes from defying defeat is what motivates us.

Offline Tickles

• Last of the Writers
  • Elite Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 10:49:38 PM »

You shouldn't have to clarify something that is redundant.

others can take it a whole different way.

Offline genbor

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • If you die, don't come crying to me about it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 10:56:20 PM »
I don't really see how it can be understood any other way :/
It's ghost dammit, GHOST!

Offline Tickles

• Last of the Writers
  • Elite Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 10:58:59 PM »