* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Rarity of Pokemon  (Read 6559 times)

Offline Wyrdism

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
Rarity of Pokemon
« on: August 30, 2011, 09:39:22 AM »
I already used the search and didn't see anything like this.

Would pokemon like Dratini, Scyther, Snorlax and whatnot be catchable? And if so, is there a rarity scale? I'd like to see some pokemon being incredibly rare.

zylonnick

Re: Rarity of Pokemon
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 09:47:53 AM »
All (non-legendary) pokémon will be catchable, I'm not sure about the rarity though.

Offline Arctus

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 10:05:05 AM »
With the balance team trying to make all pokemon equal so one doesn't overpower, it hardly seems fair to go through the effort of catching a rarer pokemon for it to be like all the rest.

Offline Shadowfred

• Gameplay Balancer/Pretty cool guy
  • PU Team
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 10:14:17 AM »
Just because pokemon are balanced doesn't mean that they are all the same.

Offline Flynt

• Balance Tester
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 10:22:57 AM »
all pokemon (non legendary) will be catchable but i dont know about rarity.but i think there will be rare pokemon.

Offline Arctus

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 10:54:12 AM »
I didn't mean the same as such, it's just the rarer the pokemon the better it would have to be for any reason, which i dont think this game is about. I think that you should be able to use you're favourite pokemon without them being completely overpowered.

Offline John Flame

• Good Trainer
  • Smite first,questions later
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 03:36:57 PM »
Balance does not mean a pidgey can beat a golem.

Balance means that altough the pidgey can't beat a golem,many can but golem to shame.

Pokémon like Alakazam in 1st generation were overpowered.The only reliable ghost whas Gengar(can't remember another),and yet again alakazam could learn shadow ball to pwn Gengar...

Ofcourse some pokémon must be stronger then others,but balance is about having somethink to counter that strength.

Offline Wyrdism

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 08:33:50 AM »
It would be pretty screwy if a pidgey could wreck a golem. Even if pidgey had a water or grass attack(though not possible, obviously), it shouldn't do much.

How would that work? A pokemon like scyther only has one evolution while geodude has three. You're balancing stats, right? That can create imbalance. So either way, some pokemon are bound to be stronger than others, though not completely overpowered.

Offline Flynt

• Balance Tester
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 08:37:32 AM »
It would be pretty screwy if a pidgey could wreck a golem. Even if pidgey had a water or grass attack(though not possible, obviously), it shouldn't do much.

How would that work? A pokemon like scyther only has one evolution while geodude has three. You're balancing stats, right? That can create imbalance. So either way, some pokemon are bound to be stronger than others, though not completely overpowered.
well a pidgeot with water or grass can kick golem's butt. ;)

Offline Wyrdism

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 08:51:10 AM »

well a pidgeot with water or grass can kick golem's butt. ;)

Because of the stats, yeah. I started this thread because I've been watching pokemon on an anime site. Dratini is incredibly rare on there, along with some other pokemon considered rare in the games. And there's some sort of currency in PU, right? Rarer pokemons would be worth more, thus creating a solid ingame economy.

Well, guess that's just up to the balancing team. I look forward to the games release. I can't want to see how it turns out.

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 12:04:46 PM »
Rarity and stats of a Pokemon shouldn't be strongly related.

Maybe rarer pokemon would be worth more, but think about it for some time. Would you rather choose a pokemon for its rarity or for its integrity in your team to get synergy?

I'm sure experienced trainers would opt for the latter, because they need one pokemon for their team, irrespective of the rarity of that pokemon. Rarity is just like shiny pokemon. They are rare... but how are they ingame? They are no more powerful nor weaker than the other pokemon. They are just like them, but with another colour palette and some fuzzy animations.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline Wyrdism

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 12:45:22 PM »
Even with the synergy debate, 95% of pokemon would go good in a battle team rather than to show off, including the pokemon with a higher rarity scale, if something like that exists. As someones signature said, win with your favorites. Therefore, build your team around your favorites to create something solid.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 12:47:20 PM by Wyrdism »

Offline Yume Tsuki

• Pixel Artist
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • (/ ゚ヮ゚)/彡 ┻━┻
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art page
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 01:42:41 PM »
Balance does not mean a pidgey can beat a golem.

Balance means that altough the pidgey can't beat a golem,many can but golem to shame.

Pokémon like Alakazam in 1st generation were overpowered.The only reliable ghost whas Gengar(can't remember another),and yet again alakazam could learn shadow ball to pwn Gengar...

Ofcourse some pokémon must be stronger then others,but balance is about having somethink to counter that strength.

In first gen the only reliable pokémon to defeat the psychic type was indeed gengar, or an bug-type pokemon like beedrill.

However, Gengar's poison type was weak against psychic making him no match for Alakazam. As well as the only ghost type attack there was was night-shade, so that made psychic type pokemon pretty much impossible to defeat.
Beedrill was the only pokemon with an useful bug-move (twineedle) but that one was also poison, making the psychic type still hard-to-defeat.
Butterfree didn't learn any bug moves, making jolteon (knowing pin missle) the only one who could actually do a super-effective move against these psychic friends because beedrill gets outrun, and gengar only knew nightshade and this only did 40 damage.

Claiming that someone else's marriage is against your religion is like being angry at someone for eating a doughnut because you're on a diet.

zylonnick

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 01:52:58 PM »
Even with the synergy debate, 95% of pokemon would go good in a battle team rather than to show off, including the pokemon with a higher rarity scale, if something like that exists. As someones signature said, win with your favorites. Therefore, build your team around your favorites to create something solid.

That would be my signature :)
The whole PU-balancing idea is to make sure that everyone could use their favourite pokémon (Even if it's something like a Farfetch'd or wooper) without always having to lose to a basic OU-team. You still will have to put some effort in it to raise in the proper way and build a solid team around it, but it won't be impossible anymore.

Offline Bing

• Good Trainer
  • If music be the food of love, play on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 09:25:38 PM »

That would be my signature :)
The whole PU-balancing idea is to make sure that everyone could use their favourite pokémon (Even if it's something like a Farfetch'd or wooper) without always having to lose to a basic OU-team. You still will have to put some effort in it to raise in the proper way and build a solid team around it, but it won't be impossible anymore.

This is exactly why I think PU is gonna be the greatest pokemon thing ever.

I love battling with my Favorite pokemon,  actually it's all I do.  I mean is my team on PO pretty good, I think so.  But, it's built only with pokemon I like, not with ones just because they are good.  My team right now is Froslass, Scizor, Infernape, Weavile, Ferrothorn and Carracosta.  These are some of my all time favoites from across the game.  I don't care about rarity.  I just like the way these guys look. lol