* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Levelled List  (Read 5940 times)

Offline Atlas

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
Levelled List
« on: September 09, 2011, 11:27:23 PM »
I'm searched the Idea's and can't find a suggestion matching the one I came up with.
All those TES4:Oblivion players would know what I'm talking about when I say 'levelled lists'. So basically in TES4 and other RPG games, the higher your level the harder the monsters to beat. So what about the higher your level(or badge count idk) the higher the average level of pokemon on every route.
So at a low level(trainer level 1/0 badges) all pokemon are max level 10 in the wild. Whereas at say Badge 5 they'd all be in their 30's/40's
I think this would make more sense as high level pokemon wouldn't bother with weak looking trainers and weak pokemon would be intimidated by confident and well renowned trainers.

Ideas? Suggestions? tear downs?

Suffers an uncurable superstrain of Foot-in-mouth disease

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are" ~ mewtwo
"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites." (Karen, elite 4)

Offline Tickles

• Last of the Writers
  • Elite Trainer
  • Currently being awesome... please wait
    • View Profile
Re: Levelled List
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 11:40:15 PM »
I disagree. Plain and simple, it is going to be played like the actual games, and the actual games did not level with you. Please research a little more, they have a solution to the training method. Its under read more.
Find me on Steam: Sir Ticklesword

Offline Kamaran

• Lead Mapper
  • PU Team
  • Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 11:42:10 PM »
you realise that if a trainer has only 1 badge, he'll be able to pass throught everything with level 10 encounters?

Increasing the encounter level stops the player for exploring areas that he is not ready for yet.
"Don't touch the poster at the Game Corner! There's no secret switch behind it!"

Offline Declan_23

• Quest/NPC Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 11:49:47 PM »
I actually quite like the idea, I mean it'd make sure that the game would remain challanging for the player, what Kamaran said could be an issue, and the only way to get round it is to place a level cap on certain routes, which kind of undoes this idea. Another issue is, if the game scales up with the player, what is the player's incentive to advance?

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 09:50:26 PM »
I personally think that some specific variation of the wild pokemon level according to the level/number of badges of the trainer would be some good addition. Maybe have it vary within a certain range, just enough to have much higher level pokemon at certain places and other places, the lower leveled pokemon. I don't think that would be an easy task code-wise though.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline Level5Pidgey

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • Use Gust!
    • View Profile
    • Pidgey's Philosophical Game Design
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 12:04:17 AM »
We could put a lower cap on zones - so, Pokemon can only get harder.

But what happens when you wanna train your level 5 Pidgey? You can't until it's extremely high level because you have all the badges so even the starting zones are high level...

*shrug*

This idea is a more trouble than it's worth I think.
Read my Game Design Blog!

And that one, lone, distressed flying Krabby went on to become the most powerful being in the Universe.

Offline Arctus

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 12:26:59 AM »
I think that we should just stick to how it was in the originals, they work very well so we shouldn't change it.

Offline Noah_Road

• Normal Trainer
  • I can imagine 6 impossible things before breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 11:37:10 AM »
I kinda like this idea. It would make training at higher levels much easier. However, it would be hard to train your lower level pokemon if you already have quite a few badges. I say that this should only apply to a small area or "training ground". That way you can train here to whatever extent and still be able to find weaker pokemon elsewhere.

Psychic Power=Imagination+Dreams

Offline Mr_Dark

• PU God
  • Administrator
  • Senior Trainer
  • QQ
    • View Profile
    • Dark Productions
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 12:04:05 PM »
It could depend on the lowerst level pokemon that's currently in your party.
IRC: #pokemon-universe @ Rizon.net

!!PRIVATE MESSAGES WITHOUT A SUBJECT WILL NOT BE READ!!

Quote from: Frenchfry545
That settles it. I'm starting a new religion. It's called "Misterdarkism".

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 04:20:10 PM »
We could put a lower cap on zones - so, Pokemon can only get harder.

But what happens when you wanna train your level 5 Pidgey? You can't until it's extremely high level because you have all the badges so even the starting zones are high level...

*shrug*

This idea is a more trouble than it's worth I think.

Well, if the system I described works, you can go to the earlier routes to get lower levelled pokemon, like:

Route 1: Level 1-10
Route 2: Level 5-15
Route 3: Level 15-25

All depending on the trainer level or badge

Ex. I have no badge, Route 3 is supposed to be after getting my first badge. So, when I go on Routes 1 and 2, I get pokemon with levels 1-15, but when I get to Route 3, they are (only) level 25 (which I would think is a reasonable barrier).

When I get the first badge, Route 3 now has temporarily more level 15 (higher chance of getting Lv. 15 than 20, if not all are 15). And when I get the second badge, it gets to the whereabouts of 18-20 (depending on the level of pokemon of the second gym leader). By the time I get all the badges, the level range gets uniformly within 15-25.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....

Offline Level5Pidgey

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • Use Gust!
    • View Profile
    • Pidgey's Philosophical Game Design
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 04:32:02 PM »
Leaving this to some algorithm could lead to problems down the track which we may want to retain control over.

Perhaps players could activate some sort of "Expert (Brutal?) Mode" once they beat the Brutal 5 (or something) which they can flick on to make all the Pokemon higher level in the zones?

I dunno, it's just I would be a bit worried about making an oversight on a feature like this and making the game too easy/hard or unplayable - when it would be better to manually control it.

If it's something that the players can control - I wouldn't mind so much.
Giving players control means that there will never be a situation where a trainer wants lower level Pokemon (while retaining the higher level pokes in his team) and they cannot get it for whatever reason.

Base line - if we were to implement this, I would recommend implementing it on a switch that players control.
Should erase 99% of concerns.
Read my Game Design Blog!

And that one, lone, distressed flying Krabby went on to become the most powerful being in the Universe.

Offline Tickles

• Last of the Writers
  • Elite Trainer
  • Currently being awesome... please wait
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 11:34:14 PM »
Leaving this to some algorithm could lead to problems down the track which we may want to retain control over.

Perhaps players could activate some sort of "Expert (Brutal?) Mode" once they beat the Brutal 5 (or something) which they can flick on to make all the Pokemon higher level in the zones?

I dunno, it's just I would be a bit worried about making an oversight on a feature like this and making the game too easy/hard or unplayable - when it would be better to manually control it.

If it's something that the players can control - I wouldn't mind so much.
Giving players control means that there will never be a situation where a trainer wants lower level Pokemon (while retaining the higher level pokes in his team) and they cannot get it for whatever reason.

Base line - if we were to implement this, I would recommend implementing it on a switch that players control.
Should erase 99% of concerns.
I like it, if we had the control of whether we want to face strong pokemon, it would be our decision, and to complain would be pointless because we can just shut it off.
Find me on Steam: Sir Ticklesword

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 06:11:50 PM »
Hustle and Stench maybe, by making them having a somehow 'wider' effect than in some previous traditional games? :P

Offline Bing

• Good Trainer
  • If music be the food of love, play on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 07:04:43 PM »
It could depend on the lowerst level pokemon that's currently in your party.

Yeah, but if you have an hm slave.  That would make it really easy to move though any area.

Offline Noah_Road

• Normal Trainer
  • I can imagine 6 impossible things before breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 11:56:32 PM »
I thought there weren't gonna be HMs in the game.

Psychic Power=Imagination+Dreams