* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Age of Empires Online  (Read 3157 times)

Offline TheSolx

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
    • My dA page
Age of Empires Online
« on: December 01, 2011, 01:32:40 PM »
So I found AoE Online last weekend. Does anyone else play it? It's actually more fun than it looks like.

http://ageofempiresonline.com

For those who don't know it, a little about it:
It's the same concept as the 3 games from Esemble Studios (which didn't make this because they went down :(), but Online and with other features. If you played any of those, you probably remember growing from a small village with only a Town Center, 5 Villagers and a couple of troops.
The only part I hated about it, was that you had the same thing going every time and that you had to start all over every time you played.

It's still Microsoft, and it uses Microsoft/Xbox LIVE as community and connection.
You can choose between 4 civilizations: Greek (Free, you can buy Premium), Egyptian (Free, you can buy Premium), Persian (Premium Only), Celts (Coming Soon). All the civilizations can talk/coop/pvp with eachother.
When you start, you have a small village, your Capital. You have a Palace, a Port, a Embassy  and a shop for Premium players (You can buy things here with Microsoft Points). This is your base, where you will get workshops, shops with upgrades, War Schools and a lot more. The best part about it, you can place the buildings however you like to make it organized and look like what you want.

But nothing more happens here. It's pretty peaceful actually, to be in a War.
The first thing you will probably notice, a man with a exclamation mark over his head. He is the Village Elder and a quest giver. He gives you a quest, and you're ready to start.  NOTE: If it's your first time playing, do NOT choose to skip the tutorial. I've had enough of the ones that did and ask stupid questions about how to make Villagers...

Now, the fighting here is kinda interesting. You don't just start right away. You have to choose a quest to start fighting. And there even is a story to it! :D :D :D
You will be taken to a village in your empire that needs help with something. You will start with (not surprising if you played the original games) a Town Center, a few Villagers and a Scout. Most missions also give you soldiers at the start.
You will have to gather resources and build different buildings with your Villagers, and you can search the map with the Scout. Only bad thing about the Scouts is that they are very vulnerable and don't do much damage. But they are fast.

After this, it's pretty easy to get into.
You can also do PvP, but I'm not sure if you need Premium for it. I've got Premium Greek on Athen, so I'm not really sure what is Premium and what is not :-\
And, best part, you can team up with other players and do Co-op missions. It's usually a lot easier to do it together with others, though some missions are harder when you do...
Note that not all Missions you get are Co-op. Some of them you are required to do alone, like the Tutorial quests.

If anyone does play, add me on Microsoft LIVE. My gamertag is TheSolx :)
And as I said, I play on Athene. (not sure if it's only EU, cause I've played with people from US too)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 01:36:17 PM by TheSolx »

Offline Mr_Dark

• PU God
  • Administrator
  • Senior Trainer
  • QQ
    • View Profile
    • Dark Productions
Re: Age of Empires Online
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 02:12:57 PM »
I played it back in the day when it was still in beta. But it doesn't gave me the same feeling as I had when playing AoEIII:AD online.

On the positive side, you can actually do quests together now, instead of just battling against other players.
IRC: #pokemon-universe @ Rizon.net

!!PRIVATE MESSAGES WITHOUT A SUBJECT WILL NOT BE READ!!

Quote from: Frenchfry545
That settles it. I'm starting a new religion. It's called "Misterdarkism".

Offline TheSolx

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
    • My dA page
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 02:32:47 PM »
I bet. It's not as good as AoE2 either, but still fun.

And the pain in the ass it was before I got Premium though... Most things in-game are Premium content. But at least it's playable without

Offline Flynt

• Balance Tester
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 03:22:46 PM »
have u played aoe2 age of conquerers?

Offline TheSolx

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
    • My dA page