* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: [Short Story] A Summer Memory.  (Read 2381 times)

Offline SkyMusic

• New Trainer
    • View Profile
[Short Story] A Summer Memory.
« on: April 01, 2010, 08:28:32 AM »
[size=18]A Summer Memory[/size]

By ; SkyMusic / Schuyler
Genre ; Realistic Fiction (No relation to Pokemon)

June 22nd, 2010

I hummed a sweet, lilting lullaby my mother used to sing to me when I was a young girl. The summer winds carefully carried the tune away, on it's warm breezes. The sun was being kind today; the rays flowed onto my face, sending a wonderful sensation through my body. It was not too hot, nor too cold. It was just like last year's summer.

The birds chirped softly, the grass whispered, and the great tree we were beneath shifted in time. Along with the barely detectable scent of bright flora, it was the summer's perfect melody. Every little detail, every single one... I remembered precisely, right to the direction that the long, tall grasses were blowing in.

My heart fluttered with content. I was irrevocably happy, filled with more joy on this day, than any other day of the year. The air gently pushed my deep chesnut hair back, letting it smoothly ripple like a graceful river. Nothing here had changed one bit. Not a single leaf on the tree, not a pebble on the ground. It was as if when we had left last year... Time had stopped just for us. Just so we could go straight back to what we had been doing. Even when we had come back this year, after that awful incident. Even though. What a strange, magical touch.

I sighed, and lay back, enjoying the feeling of the cool, soft grass against my spine. Atop this hill; atop our hill, it was only our world. A distance away from civilization, a place to ourselves, somewhere to call our very own. And this was undeniably ours, forever.

"Oh, Ivy," I breathed, "Isn't this amazing? It's so strange, how everything is the same as last year, on this same day."

The young ants were scurrying up their hill, just like before. One of the smaller ones was having trouble lifting a rather large pebble, and hauling it into his home. How peculiar. Don't ants lift at least three thousand times their own weight? It was no matter to me. This little one needed help. Gently lifting the pebble, I pried it from him, and set it carefully next to the anthill. My little one hurriedly scampered over to his prize, and set it next to a collection of them.

I shifted my body to face the ants, and they all ran off, back into their safe haven below the ground. I frowned. How rude. I haven't done anything at all to have harmed them. It was then I noticed my little friend; he had stayed behind. He stood there, not more than a foot in front of me, and didn't budge. How curious. How insanely curious. I really did take a liking to this one.

I grinned, and waved. He twitched his antennae, and with surprising speed, ran up to my ankle, and bit, hard. Crying out in pain, I flicked away the little pest. My ankle now stung something awful, and I couldn't do anything about it. I cursed to myself, thinking that I should tell Ivy about this minuscule demon. I began to speak, but held my tongue; I had a feeling she was wanting to have silence today.

Moving back to my original position, I continued to observe the many things that had stayed the same. The beautiful, blooming, lavender wildflowers daintily smiled at us, welcoming our presence. Their young buds stayed safely tucked away beneath their mothers, and shyed away from my looming figure. This surprised me. It was not like the little ones to be afraid.

"Ivy, dearest. Come look at this. Isn't this odd? How the young ones hide behind their mothers?" I wondered.

Nothing. Not a word. I quickly shut my mouth, and turned away. The breeze was less warming now, and the sun undeniably chiller. The mother flowers subtly turned from us, as if to protect their babies, and the wise old tree shook with awkwardness. I frowned, and shut my eyes, trying to block out all the negative things that were happening at the moment. It did not work. Opening my eyes, I stared at our sky; it was now turning gray, and the clouds mockingly danced in front of the sun, refusing to reveal it's shining beams of hope.

I tried to stop the tears that were forming in my eyes. Why was this all happening? Why was everything so different? It was not like this last time. It was happier, fuller. It embraced us ecstatically; not rejected us stonily. Why?! Last year... Last year...

"Ivy!" I choked out, on the verge of sobbing. "Why is this happening? Tell me! You haven't said a word all day, and our world is falling apart... Nothing is right... Nothing's the same... Why? Tell me, please... I'm...I'm..." I squeezed my eyes shut, knowing she would give no response.

My knees came to meet my forehead, and I hugged them tightly, rocking back and forth. I was in that position for quite a time; for how long, I would not remember. My memory was giving nothing away. When I finally summoned enough courage to open them again, nothing had changed from the bleak, unappealing things I had just seen. It was heart-breaking.

But, something was slightly different. I wasn't in the right spot. I had curled up on the opposite side of the tree, facing the sun. Now, I was facing the city. It was then and there, I realized what had happened.

"Ivy...Ivy...Ivy," I whispered quietly. "I'm terribly sorry for making you go through that. I know it upsets you, for me to so selfishly imagine my own joy, without being able to share it with you. It's just... Our little sanctuary... It's not the same without you. Just look. Look! The sky moans with grief, and the clouds give no signs of leaving our sun alone. I guess I was just so desperate for that happiness once again..."

I got up, and walked over to her, falling to my knees.

"That I was dreaming of last year. Last year, when we were together. Last year, when our world was alive. Last year," I said sadly, "When you were alive."

I began to cry, right then and there. The heavens cracked, and light flickered for a split second; and then, it began to rain. The water intermixed with my tears, and got heavier as my sorrow became more and more evident. I stared, and stared.

"Ivy, oh Ivy. Why did you leave me? Why did this all become a memory, instead of the present?" I cried out, falling to the now muddy ground. "Why?!" I howled. But not even I could hear my own words, for they were eaten by the ear-splitting boom of thunder.

[size=18]Ivy Belleview
June 1st, 1994-June 23rd, 2009
Beloved daughter, and friend.[/size]
[/color][/font]

*Please note this is FICTION. It is not real, nor are any characters or events involved.

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
Re: [Short Story] A Summer Memory.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 11:06:50 AM »
It's nice I must say :)

Keep up the good work!
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline Mr Pokemon

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • I'm not dead.
    • View Profile
Re: [Short Story] A Summer Memory.
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 11:46:35 AM »
It is a very well written story yet full of sadness..