* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Storyline + Random Idea(s)~  (Read 2614 times)

Offline Hakurin

• Beginning Trainer
  • Blue over Green? Never!!
    • View Profile
Storyline + Random Idea(s)~
« on: June 30, 2010, 09:43:25 AM »
I'm not sure if this was mentioned before, but here is a small idea that might work.
The possibility of having more than one storyline...
Maybe if choices the player makes as he/she goes along can change the outcome of the ending he/she gets?
Or perhaps storyline changes depending on which Pokemon you pick as a starter?
Of course, there could be the "no storyline," depending on the players' desire to follow up on the story? In my opinion, you shouldn't HAVE to follow the story to open up new paths.

^^^^
Maybe I should retract that idea? Not sure how the storyline works, even though I read it over twice x.x 
---------------

Now I'm not sure how you guys have it set or want it to be, but do HM/TM's come from winning against trainers? Are they in pokeballs floating about the continent? Or do we have to talk to random NPCs to acquire them?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 10:05:31 AM by Hakurin »
Pika~sneeze!!!

Offline TrainerReacts

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
Re: Storyline + Random Idea(s)~
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 06:09:01 PM »
Its a good idea but it would be a pain in the rear for the PU Team. I mean that must be a lot of work, just with what they are doing they are pretty busy with that on top.... can you imagine. But yeah would be nice if players made choices and it would affect the outcome of the story.

And if the PU is planning on doing that, hehe story writers must be very very busy xD

Offline spirit

• pikaNYA~
  • Administrator
  • Normal Trainer
  • nyannyannyannyannyan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 11:19:04 PM »
There is a plan for a storyline... and yes, it is, and will be, a lot of work. Fortunately, while there is a lot of work being put into the game, you don't need to worry yourself that all of the other work will take away from the story, as the jobs are dispersed between the team members. In other words, myself and Declan_23 (the story writers), aren't working on the mapping, or the GUI or anything else.

As for your wish to have multiple paths in the story, we are working on something, kind of, like that. You will not be required to take on every quest, in fact, you don't have to do any quest if that is your choice. This game is an MMORPG version of the handheld games, and we are doing what we can to let that replicate in not only the fact that there will be other players, but in every aspect of the game as well; when applied to the story, this mainly means interaction with others, and freedom of choice.

Now before anyone get's confused, just because you will have choice, this doesn't mean that we will have a system like Fable for example. We have no intention to award good/bad points depending on how you carry out a mission or objective, or what actions you take; but we do have something else in mind, and the story is non-linear. That said, if all goes to plan, there will also not be an ending to the game; just because you do a number of quests, does not mean that you will get to the end of the game and get some crazy cinematic telling the end of the story. We do this because there are other players still playing the game, and they exist in your world (see, it's an MMORPG), and you can still interact with them.

So in other words, there are quests, and they do tell a story(s), but there is no set "storyline".

I would like to point out however, that we can decide to change this at any time; there is no guarantee this is how it will work when the game is finished. It is entirely possible that things will change, and this will mean absolutely nothing by that time.

Offline Hakurin

• Beginning Trainer
  • Blue over Green? Never!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 01:49:56 AM »
I see, well hopefully all goes accordingly. Also, I had no intention of a Fable like aspect, if somehow I did give off that vibe.
And thanks for clearing that up. (:
Pika~sneeze!!!

Offline spirit

• pikaNYA~
  • Administrator
  • Normal Trainer
  • nyannyannyannyannyan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 01:52:03 AM »
You didn't really, but some people have asked about a good/bad system where your actions effect the outcome, so i thought i would clear that up.
But that doesn't mean, there won't be veering paths.