* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Playing styles over the years...  (Read 7991 times)

Offline SUBPLANAR

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
Playing styles over the years...
« on: July 31, 2010, 06:19:03 AM »
Here lately I've been playing pkmn again and noticed that I've been playing the games a lot differently than I did ten years ago. Back in the day, whenever Pokemon was just getting popular, I was 9, and therefore just plowed through the game with the same team. I'd build my char-volutions to annihilate (because I always pick charmander in the beginning!) and not give much thought to the other Pokemon in the game. I'd also glitch my rare candies and masterballs by using our favorite #000

But now I've grown up. I'll spend two days (real world days nontheless) in between towns training, swapping out pokemon from the pc and just hunting. It's weird how a single cartridge can evolve with your age and go from a simple game to a complex, statistic counting, mathematical puzzle.

Who else has grown up with this game and realized that it's a completely different game then when you started?

Offline DarK_SouL

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Good Trainer
    • View Profile
Re: Playing styles over the years...
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 08:00:14 AM »
Here lately I've been playing pkmn again and noticed that I've been playing the games a lot differently than I did ten years ago. Back in the day, whenever Pokemon was just getting popular, I was 9, and therefore just plowed through the game with the same team. I'd build my char-volutions to annihilate (because I always pick charmander in the beginning!) and not give much thought to the other Pokemon in the game. I'd also glitch my rare candies and masterballs by using our favorite #000

But now I've grown up. I'll spend two days (real world days nontheless) in between towns training, swapping out pokemon from the pc and just hunting. It's weird how a single cartridge can evolve with your age and go from a simple game to a complex, statistic counting, mathematical puzzle.

Who else has grown up with this game and realized that it's a completely different game then when you started?

I'm probably one of the coolest and Smartest kids ever and so I already noticed that, at about 10 or so. Also kind of Stereotypical.
Friend DarkerSou1 on Xbox Live, tell me who you is tho.

Offline Mr Pokemon

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • I'm not dead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 12:39:06 PM »
I've noticed. I played Pokemon when I was about 4 or so, and it helped me learn to read. But I normally just overtrained one Pokemon and beat everything with it. Now that I know about EVs, IVs, Natures, and so much more, Pokemon is one of the most complicated games out there.

Offline SUBPLANAR

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 04:56:11 PM »
I may have done this wrong, but I actually joined the IRC first. I was looking for pokemon chat when
I stumbled onto PU in a directory last night. I joined the forum because I liked the atmosphere there (even though it was only LucarioX and Monzta in there at the time) and one can't be registered to too many online forums. The MMO is really only an after thought for me, so don't worry about me asking too many questions  :P

And I guess we weren't all boy geniuses, LucarioX. I don't get the stereotypical part either :/
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 05:04:09 PM by SUBPLANAR »

Offline Mikey

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 11:08:01 PM »
I never really thought of pokemon as mathematical and complex. I like to enjoy the game and try not to over think it.

Offline Mr Pokemon

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • I'm not dead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 12:07:35 AM »
http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-rs/ev.shtml
Read this Mikey. You will begin to overthink Pokemon. Also, you will become better.

Offline SUBPLANAR

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 01:43:26 AM »
I never really thought of pokemon as mathematical and complex. I like to enjoy the game and try not to over think it.

That's exactly what I'm talking about! Pokemon is a game that molds itself to the player. You can level up your pokemon with rare candies and be completely fine, but if you do things the hard way, by training and dedication, your Pokemon will be so much stronger.

Offline Mikey

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 05:49:05 PM »
http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-rs/ev.shtml
Read this Mikey. You will begin to overthink Pokemon. Also, you will become better.

Wow, i never had any idea about that kinda stuff. Is EV on red, blue and yellow version's too?

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 04:39:07 PM »
Yes, but at that time, people didn't really care about EVs (now called EPs) and IVs because the game wasn't really competitive but more restrained into the game itself. It is after the fact that the game encouraged multiplayer that people really started looking at the mechanics.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline Mikey

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 12:07:39 AM »
that's awesome, ill never train the same way again

Offline xhizor8201

• Normal Trainer
  • I'm on a boat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 01:03:27 AM »
Lol, yeah, i used to train like 2 or 3 pokemon and just give them really strong moves. I would win most of the time. I think i irst played pokemon games was when i was 8. But now its changed so much. I now understand almost everything about it, type matchups, stats, powerful moves arent all you need, strategy, etc. I know how to use my masterball wisely because I used to just use it on a legendary(zapdos, moltres, or articuno). But now im really good at it and its thanks to the advance in pokemon games.

Offline partyprash

• Member Design Team
  • Contributor
  • Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
    • PartyPrashVideos
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 01:39:05 AM »
I still remember back when i rushed out the get Pokemon Blue the day it came out :)

even tho i was in love with charizard i Picked squirtle for some reason...
but i remember, I trained that blastoise to lvl 100 and all my other pokemon were weak on average lvl 30.. so yea, i used to do that, so i found rival battles hard and he'd have a grass type...

but now i always keep all my pokemon at roughly the same lvl, so if my pokemon are all lvl 40 and one becomes lvl 41, i train all the others to be lvl 41, and so on...
I also always have these types in my party at all times : Water, Fire, Grass, Ghost, Flying, ( and a random one )
so now whatever pokemon type is used against me i PWN, and being at low lvls the battles still put up a decent challenge :) and keeps the game more fun rather than using one pokemon the whole game :)

Offline JohnnyXtreme

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 02:26:55 AM »
I remember playing Sapphire when I was about 9 just plowing through everyone with my Sceptile. I never, ever used non damgaging moves because I never understood what they did.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 01:23:21 AM by JohnnyXtreme »
"Living is easy with eyes closed"

Offline DeathSDelano

• New Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 05:39:05 PM »
Ya i didn't even know Evs existed until Pt XD(and i've been with pokemon since day 1). And i use to use only damage moves as well. Now i am starting to use some non-damage moves but only ones like Swords Dance and DD. though i do like using thunder wave to help out my slow pokes.

Though the way i've started playing since Gen 2 is Have 3 trial runs with each of the starters. Figure out which starter i liked best than go for the main run(4th run) with the starter i liked and pokemon i have not used(in E4) in the last runs
Future pokemon white team

Offline TheGr8

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 02:16:15 AM »
I remember when I was 7 or 8 and I had pokemon blue to start. Just playing and playing and then it got me to get all of the other games as well red,yellow and so on. My play style has changed because I actually think about a strategy or even my team in general to build because I am older and I just think that way.

^^ My old buddy Thinkle77 made this