* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: Entry Hazards, no more?  (Read 17035 times)

Offline Viper

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • The One and Only
    • View Profile
Re: Entry Hazards, no more?
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 02:04:42 PM »
SR was a common TM. So not many learned it by level up in Gen IV.

The other (and I would say main) reason why Stealth Rock was removed, is because it specifically targets certain Pokemon.
It makes a lot of Pokemon somewhat useless after just being set up. If it affected everyone equally, it could be tweaked or left as is depending on what we want for PU - but as it is, it's just a big "F* You" to Fires, Flying, Ice and Bugs - who are already quite rare in comp play without secondary, stronger elements (Steel, Fighting, Water).

The loss of Stealth Rock as a level up move won't cripple any Pokemon while they level, and so we don't feel as if we need to give Pokemon anything to fill the gap.

That said, we are talking over a possible replacement that does a flat 15% damage to any Pokes that switch in. It would be independent of weaknesses, and would even hit fliers.
It also does more damage than L1 Spikes - so it would be good for fast offensive teams that don't want to take time to set up, but still want entry hazards to help KOs.

This would be offered to Pokemon who lost SR.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Personally, I have a general dislike for entry hazards, like stealth rock.  First of all because everyone uses them.  I can guarantee that in ten battles, at least eight of my opponents will use some form of entry hazard.  If they were removed, many people would use different strategies instead of the current popular one of.  Me spam hazards!

Or at least get rid of the fact that you can level up the spikes.

And, like I said before.  This is just an idea of mine, It's an opinion.  It just so happens that it is one that I feel strongly about. (To me, using entry hazards is like throwing a Lvl 100 Zekrom at a Lvl 1 Squirtle.)

Thats because they are effective.

And i like the new idea level5pidgey, as long as pokemon who could learn the tm stealth rocks could also learn this one.

Offline Bing

• Good Trainer
  • If music be the food of love, play on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 02:54:52 PM »
As long as they don't make pokemon like Charizard useless.  I can live with it.

Offline 4Dyce

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 03:18:13 PM »
I quite like entry hazards would stop people from overpowering someone in battle by continuingly switching to something like a certin overpowered fire pokemon lol :D

Bulbasaur FTW!

Offline Mr. Fox

• Good Trainer
  • The name's Fox, Mr. Fox
    • View Profile
    • Dragon Cave.
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 09:42:26 PM »
That is what they are for, to make sure you cant switch in 100 times.

Offline Frenchfry

• Good Trainer
  • I woke up with a clown's hand in my pants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 09:52:30 PM »
Yeah, except that's not what Stealth Rocks do. At all.
They take away half the health of your Fire/Bug/Ice types upon entry.

They have to enter sometime.

Offline Mr. Fox

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
    • Dragon Cave.
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2011, 09:53:57 PM »
That is why I use spikes.

Offline Raikt

• Balancer of stuff
  • Good Trainer
  • I punch Creepers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2011, 10:07:05 PM »
It's as Pidgey said. Spikes and Toxic spikes can't be set up instantaneously and usually require a dedicated 'mon or team to work well with. At the very least, your core defensive group has to be built around it. However, Stealth Rock could, can, and usually is thrown on to practically any 'mon that can take a hit, stay in for a turn (Or is your lead) and learn it. (RE: Everything, really.)

So, removing Stealth Rock will greatly increase playability of certain Pokemon. Most notably a certain Fire / Flying starter everyone is fond of. However, other Pokemon such as Salamence will be getting a nerf because of this. The reason being: Salamence, Gyarados and friends, without Stealth Rock, can switch in relatively unhindered and proceed to sweep. That would be counter productive to balancing.

In the end, we're making quite a few changes to, hopefully, make it more fun for everyone. And my job is to make sure that it's still fun for any competitive players amongst us. (Don't worry, I like competitive battling just as much as you do.)
Weekly awesomsauce: www.collegehumor.com/video/6359051/wow-jason-statham-really-wants-wow
Daily awesomesauce: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn4uonU_uj0
I have a proud tradition of failure to uphold.
Updated awesomesauce!**

Offline Bing

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2011, 10:29:04 PM »
Idk about Gyardos and Salamance just coming in and sweeping.  I refuse to use any form of entry hazard and I have no problem dealing with sweepers.

Offline Mr. Fox

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
    • Dragon Cave.
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2011, 10:29:58 PM »
I say they do a plain 1/4th dammage.

Offline Level5Pidgey

• Contributor
  • Good Trainer
  • Use Gust!
    • View Profile
    • Pidgey's Philosophical Game Design
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2011, 10:42:38 PM »
One quarter damage would likely be too high for a single set up.
I have been thinking about what I said earlier (possible 15% SR), and really, I think Spikes and Toxic Spikes should be the only entry hazards out there.
It just nicely limits the damage done - 15% SR and 2 layers of Spikes would give more than 1/3 hp loss on switching in which just sucks.

So yeah, only Spikes and Toxic Spikes.
To counter them, all you gotta do is have a taunting lead/get a taunter in when they start setting up spikes, or Rapid Spin. Espeon and Xatu can actually reflect Spikes at the opponent completely.

We're looking to make Rapid Spin a more widespread move in PU (not too many Pokes, but, more than what there are now) - so it's easier to counter.
Read my Game Design Blog!

And that one, lone, distressed flying Krabby went on to become the most powerful being in the Universe.

Offline Raikt

• Balancer of stuff
  • Good Trainer
  • I punch Creepers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2011, 10:54:02 PM »
Idk about Gyardos and Salamance just coming in and sweeping.  I refuse to use any form of entry hazard and I have no problem dealing with sweepers.

There is a reason that Salamence was barred to Ubers for a period of time before Black and White came out. It was because, even with Stealth Rock, it could bring you back from a 1-6 to a 1-0. It was that powerful.

If you're not having a problem with them, it's most likely a testament to the skill of the other player. Not the Pokemon itself.
Weekly awesomsauce: www.collegehumor.com/video/6359051/wow-jason-statham-really-wants-wow
Daily awesomesauce: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn4uonU_uj0
I have a proud tradition of failure to uphold.
Updated awesomesauce!**

Offline Bing

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2011, 10:55:58 PM »
I wonder if you could make it so that entry hazards only activate if a trainer switches out when the current pokemon is not koed.  Ex:  Weavile is in for me.  My opponent sends in Charizard, (he launched a stealth rock earlier)  I switch to Blastoise.  Since Weavile did not faint, I take the damage.

Weavile is in for me, My opponents has Charizard out.  Weavile gets knocked out and I switch in Blastoise who takes no damage.

Edit: I still would love to see SR removed.  Even if the above idea is possible.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 11:20:55 PM by Bing »

Offline Wrathes

• Normal Trainer
  • DO NOT DISTURB
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2011, 11:16:59 PM »
wow most are from gen5

Most is the INCORRECT term. Half is precise.

One quarter damage would likely be too high for a single set up.
I have been thinking about what I said earlier (possible 15% SR), and really, I think Spikes and Toxic Spikes should be the only entry hazards out there.
It just nicely limits the damage done - 15% SR and 2 layers of Spikes would give more than 1/3 hp loss on switching in which just sucks.

So yeah, only Spikes and Toxic Spikes.
To counter them, all you gotta do is have a taunting lead/get a taunter in when they start setting up spikes, or Rapid Spin. Espeon and Xatu can actually reflect Spikes at the opponent completely.

We're looking to make Rapid Spin a more widespread move in PU (not too many Pokes, but, more than what there are now) - so it's easier to counter.

For those who has not experienced with PO A LOT, I've witnessed many people who I encounter with similar team themes has A LEAST one pokemon with Rapid Spin to counter spikes if they had them setup. As for Toxic Spikes, many teams usually carry a Poison type to get rid toxic spikes.
So BING, just because you're against it, IT doesn't mean you can be a demagogue for against SR/Spikes/Tspikes. I'm okay with the idea of not having Stealth Rock, but Spikes takes time to set it up. It also requires a proper team to build around it.

Stealth Rock is the Zubat of the moveset world. I can't do ONE match online without:
"The Foe's Forttress used Stealth Rock!"
"The Foe's Forttress used Spikes!"
"The Foe's Forttress used Poison Spikes!"
Sorry fry, I must disagree very much. I've hardly EVER met a team who has toxic spikes and spikes set up at once. Steal Rock and Spikes, yes... but it's rather rare for those be played and set up on a team.

I think I've listed my opinion about it...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 11:27:57 PM by Wrathes »

Offline Bing

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2011, 11:35:13 PM »
Actually, I agree with fry.  I often run into teams that use SR, Spikes and Toxic Spikes all at the same time.

Offline Mr. Fox

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
    • Dragon Cave.
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2011, 11:38:51 PM »
Trust me, if you want to see a troll on the entry hazards let me get my team ready. I can get all of them up in no time and you will have only 50% of you HP left when I am done with you....