* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: The BIG transportation topic (bikes, skateboards, etc..)  (Read 41768 times)

Offline Dvys

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Beginning Trainer
  • Anime <3
    • View Profile
    • Chip Creations
Re: The BIG transportation topic (bikes, skateboards, etc..)
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2010, 02:29:54 PM »
Hmm, just a thought, but perhaps you will only be able to use the HM Fly to fly between the main cities of different islands (after you have visited them)? And on the island you use bike, shoes etc. to get around?

About FLY, might be a nice idea you can only fly between big city's so you still have to walk to reach certain towns and city's.

Yes, that's a nice idea. Although, I think it shouldn't be possible to FLY overseas. It's a big distance and it would take away the concept of boats and air planes to travel between islands.

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2010, 02:35:17 PM »
Sounds good... powered by an electric type pokemon ;)

Actually, it would be powered by the sun. Note how i said Solar powered.

Oops. Yes, I missed that detail. In fact, I was thinking more about the other transport like trains, or cable transport.

About the HM Fly, why don't we make the whole PU world in separate 'zones' like for example, say there are 4 zones. Within each zone, you can fly in each town and village (given they have a pokemon center) and to travel from zone to another, you cannot use fly, but the plane, or ship, or any other mode of transport.

It'll be like in FR/LG, where you need the speed boats to travel from the main land to the sevii islands, or in HG/SS where you can fly only up to the indigo plateau (the middle) then to Kanto or Johto and not from Kanto to Johto directly and vice versa.

Hmm, just a thought, but perhaps you will only be able to use the HM Fly to fly between the main cities of different islands (after you have visited them)? And on the island you use bike, shoes etc. to get around?

About FLY, might be a nice idea you can only fly between big city's so you still have to walk to reach certain towns and city's.

Yes, that's a nice idea. Although, I think it shouldn't be possible to FLY overseas. It's a big distance and it would take away the concept of boats and air planes to travel between islands.

Exactly!
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline Phosphorous

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2010, 03:35:08 PM »
I realize someone asked about riding a pokemon earlier and though it would be fun its not realistic because of limitations and such. That got me thinking possibly later when tournaments and special events get figured out maybe a prize like a mechanical rapidash where it looks like a rapidash but its an item. Now for obvious reasons there should be a poll to maybe choose 3 or for 4 types of mechanical pokemon and keep them as extremely rare prizes. I like the stamina concept and I hope to hear more details on it.

Yeah I'm kind of liking this idea. A mechanical pokemon you win in a pretty tough contest; that doesn't run out of stamina, but here are the restrictions and positives on it.

Restriction 1. You can only use it in the region you won it from.
R2. It's not trade-able or sell-able.
R3. Must have a certain player lvl to ride.
R4. Must have the best mode of land transportation before it.
(example: So if you want to get a skateboard, you need to have running shoes first.)

Positive 1. Faster than all the other modes of transportation.
P2. It's rare so only like 1 in 20 people would have it.
p3. Stamina doesn't run out.

So there would be like 4 different kinds of riding mechanical pokemon, and you could even make a poll about that later to determine it. and if you ever won the contest again, and happened to have the same mechanical pokemon you already had won, you can trade it in for  a different one.

Offline Dracoules

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2010, 08:12:23 PM »
A scooter would be so freakin' righteous.
Yeah, I know right?

Offline The Fireball Kid

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2010, 09:47:42 PM »
I realize someone asked about riding a pokemon earlier and though it would be fun its not realistic because of limitations and such. That got me thinking possibly later when tournaments and special events get figured out maybe a prize like a mechanical rapidash where it looks like a rapidash but its an item. Now for obvious reasons there should be a poll to maybe choose 3 or for 4 types of mechanical pokemon and keep them as extremely rare prizes. I like the stamina concept and I hope to hear more details on it.

Yeah I'm kind of liking this idea. A mechanical pokemon you win in a pretty tough contest; that doesn't run out of stamina, but here are the restrictions and positives on it.

Restriction 1. You can only use it in the region you won it from.
R2. It's not trade-able or sell-able.
R3. Must have a certain player lvl to ride.
R4. Must have the best mode of land transportation before it.
(example: So if you want to get a skateboard, you need to have running shoes first.)

Positive 1. Faster than all the other modes of transportation.
P2. It's rare so only like 1 in 20 people would have it.
p3. Stamina doesn't run out.

So there would be like 4 different kinds of riding mechanical pokemon, and you could even make a poll about that later to determine it. and if you ever won the contest again, and happened to have the same mechanical pokemon you already had won, you can trade it in for  a different one.

+1

I'm likin that idea for a prize. But in time everyone is going to have one. Maybe just have the pokemon ride until the next same tournament comes up?

So basically your borrowin it. And to show everyone that your the champion of that tournament and if you want to ride it, you'll have to win that tournament. This could possibly be for every major tournament?

Offline Draagn

• Beginning Trainer
  • My computer has a virus I will be off for a while.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2010, 03:06:32 PM »
I dont like the borrowing it idea because say you didnt know about the new tournament and you riding along your in the middle of nowhere and it vanishes that would suck you'd have to walk a really long way..not a well thought out plan.   

Offline ghostman50

• Contributor
  • Normal Trainer
  • Blah Blah Blah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2010, 06:48:19 PM »
I dont know if I would want random means of transportation like skateboards and scooters.

Im content with the old fashioned walking and ocassional bike usage. (and of course ship/boat and Train)

Having all of these "vehicles" (like the solar powered car) just seems too congesting.

When i think of a MMoRPG i think of socializing and constant interaction between players.

If everyone is going 20 KpH on their bikes or 70KpH in their cars, i doubt anyone would really enjoy themselves (at least i think so anyway)

The way this thread looks as though the PU team is really considering skateboards, scooters, and cars and "mechanical rapidashes????? (WTF?) so I would like to suggest having the transportation system simlar to Counterstrike or games like S4 where there is a certain amount of time you can use a certain item.

Like when you buy your bike, skateboard, etc; the player would have to by the Bike for a certain amount of time as well. (eg. 30 hours)

And give the player the option to add time by taking it to the skateboard/bicycle/"mechanical rapidash"  (seriously?) shop mechanic

Edited:

Implementing something like this would reduce the clutter in the small towns. Players would actually have to manage their vehicle usage.

And the idea of buying a vehicle one time and using it an unlimited number of times sound cheesy and way too easy.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 07:06:15 PM by ghostman50 »
Am I a ghost or a man? Or a man-ghost offspring that come from mi father's inexplicable penetration of mi mother's ghostly woman parts? Or am I a child imitating a man's ability to change into a ghostly form in order to preserve mi appellation?

"She's so sharp, depressed teenagers use her to cut themselves."  - Greg Gutfeld

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2010, 07:00:30 PM »
Good point ghostman... I haven't thought about it the least. I don't think I'll like having cars after all. Keeping the 'traditional ones' will be largely sufficient.

Also, I find that the speed of the bicycle is good as it is. Maybe include two gears like in DPPt, or two different types of bikes: acro and mach for two different options.

In contrast, I won't like too much the idea that I'm going on my bike, the suddenly it disappears and the next 'shop mechanic' is miles away. I would prefer it being permanent, or at least have some gauge with it. When it is red for example, meaning that the tyres are flat, or some other mechanism has broken, you still have some time before it falls into pieces. Repairing a bike with red gauge would cost some money, whilst repairing the whole thing would be much more expensive.
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline Mr_Dark

• PU God
  • Administrator
  • Senior Trainer
  • QQ
    • View Profile
    • Dark Productions
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2010, 07:09:27 PM »
The way this thread looks as though the PU team is really considering skateboards, scooters, and cars and "mechanical rapidashes????? (WTF?) so I would like to suggest having the transportation system simlar to Counterstrike or games like S4 where there is a certain amount of time you can use a certain item.
Wrong, we're not considering skateboards, scooter, cars and a mechanical bull-ride. If it was totally up to me you'd be walking most of the time with an occasional use of a bike.
IRC: #pokemon-universe @ Rizon.net

!!PRIVATE MESSAGES WITHOUT A SUBJECT WILL NOT BE READ!!

Quote from: Frenchfry545
That settles it. I'm starting a new religion. It's called "Misterdarkism".

Offline ghostman50

• Contributor
  • Normal Trainer
  • Blah Blah Blah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2010, 07:30:01 PM »
Wrong, we're not considering skateboards, scooter, cars and a mechanical bull-ride. If it was totally up to me you'd be walking most of the time with an occasional use of a bike.

WOuld there be a limit to how often the bike is used? or will it be similar to how the bikes are used in the Handhelds?
Am I a ghost or a man? Or a man-ghost offspring that come from mi father's inexplicable penetration of mi mother's ghostly woman parts? Or am I a child imitating a man's ability to change into a ghostly form in order to preserve mi appellation?

"She's so sharp, depressed teenagers use her to cut themselves."  - Greg Gutfeld

Offline Mr_Dark

• PU God
  • Administrator
  • Senior Trainer
  • QQ
    • View Profile
    • Dark Productions
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2010, 08:25:08 PM »
If you check a few posts back you'll read that if we implement bikes and such there will be a stamina bar so can't use it unlimited.
IRC: #pokemon-universe @ Rizon.net

!!PRIVATE MESSAGES WITHOUT A SUBJECT WILL NOT BE READ!!

Quote from: Frenchfry545
That settles it. I'm starting a new religion. It's called "Misterdarkism".

Offline Declan_23

• Quest/NPC Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2010, 08:36:55 PM »
Just another thought about the HM fly, perhaps you could only fly a small distance at first and there is a cool-down to use it again. As your player level becomes greater, you can fly longer distances/have a shorter cool-down period.

Offline Impwadman

• Beginning Trainer
  • Hey Ampharos. YOU'RE SUCH A BEAST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2010, 09:29:10 PM »
Just another thought about the HM fly, perhaps you could only fly a small distance at first and there is a cool-down to use it again. As your player level becomes greater, you can fly longer distances/have a shorter cool-down period.

Yes I like this idea. It makes more sense then to be able to fly wherever you want. Having no cool-down period takes away the purpose of having a bike or other transportation.

Offline Chaoseth

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2010, 09:40:42 PM »
"It makes more sense then to be able to fly wherever you want."

That is considering they add flying in game..it is possible you will have to walk/bike to get to other towns. v

Mr_Dark: If it was totally up to me you'd be walking most of the time with an occasional use of a bike.

Offline Urmel

• Founder/Developer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Trainer
  • You are now blinking manually
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2010, 10:41:42 PM »
There will be no flying in the game.