* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: How battling is seen by another player  (Read 15117 times)

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
How battling is seen by another player
« on: January 31, 2010, 03:07:41 PM »
I was wondering how would a player battling someone or a wild pokemon would appear to another player.

Eg. P

-Player 1 goes into grass and sees a weedle. While battling, player 2 comes along. Does player 2 see player one immobile in the grass?

-Player 1 is battling against player 2. Player 3 comes along. Does player 3 see the two trainers facing each other?

Or will they just disappear temporarily for the other players?

As a side note, if they remain visible to other players, we could perhaps include pokemon sprites. Since they will be immobile, only one sprite in each direction is required, (or 493*4 = 1972 sprites, that's quite big already, I know)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 04:18:08 PM by Jerry »
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....
Also, forum notification emails are not getting in my inbox... again...

Offline Mr_Dark

• PU God
  • Administrator
  • Senior Trainer
  • QQ
    • View Profile
    • Dark Productions
Re: How battling is see by another player
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 03:17:33 PM »
-Player 1 goes into grass and sees a weedle. While battling, player 2 comes along. Does player 2 see player one immobile in the grass?

-Player 1 is battling against player 2. Player 3 comes along. Does player 3 see the two trainers facing each other?
Yes

As a side note, if they remain visible to other players, we could perhaps include pokemon sprites. Since they will be immobile, only one sprite in each direction is required, (or 493*4 = 1972 sprites, that's quite big already, I know)
This should be possible to implement as long as we have the sprites.
IRC: #pokemon-universe @ Rizon.net

!!PRIVATE MESSAGES WITHOUT A SUBJECT WILL NOT BE READ!!

Quote from: Frenchfry545
That settles it. I'm starting a new religion. It's called "Misterdarkism".

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 03:20:38 PM »
Thanks! That raises another issue... can players... go through other players like a ghost? Because if not, and we have a lot of players, the place will be overcrowded...
No one can go back and change a bad beginning; but anyone can start now and create a successful ending.
If a problem can be solved, no need to worry about it. If it cannot be solved what is the use of worrying?

Currently playing Pokemon XY/ORAS/Shuffle and Clash of Clans and testing out PokemonRevolutionOnline and Dragonmon Hunter....

Offline Alais

• Normal Trainer
  • I like shorts. They're comfy and easy to wear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 04:16:48 PM »
I like the idea of seeing the wild pokemon a player is fighting, it might also be nice to have a pokeball animation if they catch it.

Generally the way to deal with walking through other players is if try to walk through them you stop for 1 second, then if you keep pressing the arrow key, you will walk through them.
Remember, unless we say it will be included, a Team Member's speculation and ideas are still just speculation and ideas. Though it may be more likely to be included, there are no guarantees!

Please check out our Jobs forum if you would like to help us with the development of Pokemon Universe. We don't bite, but we do have high standards. Hope to see you on IRC!

Offline Mr_Dark

• PU God
  • Administrator
  • Senior Trainer
  • QQ
    • View Profile
    • Dark Productions
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 04:19:13 PM »
Thanks! That raises another issue... can players... go through other players like a ghost? Because if not, and we have a lot of players, the place will be overcrowded...

Yes it's possible to walk through each other. We allow this because we don't want a "habbo pool's closed"-Incident here on PU.

Offline joe198098

• Beginning Trainer
    • View Profile
Re: How battling is seen by another player
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 08:02:27 AM »
that would be lame if people ran into eachother. you wouldnt be able to get anywhere!  i like the idea with the pokeball animation.  it might cuase lag though, depending on how many people are on the route.  that many animations at once could slow the game down. still, cool idea!

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 07:15:56 PM »
Maybe including something more (later), to make other people able to have an idea of a match. Like when a trainer orders his/her pokemon to attack, the 'overhead' message for example 'Charmander, use ember!' could appear to the nearby trainers.

Offline Mr_Dark

• PU God
  • Administrator
  • Senior Trainer
  • QQ
    • View Profile
    • Dark Productions
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 08:24:13 PM »
Maybe including something more (later), to make other people able to have an idea of a match. Like when a trainer orders his/her pokemon to attack, the 'overhead' message for example 'Charmander, use ember!' could appear to the nearby trainers.

Might be nice indeed. It also might cause the chat to flood when there are lots of people playing near each other.

Offline Impwadman

• Beginning Trainer
  • Hey Ampharos. YOU'RE SUCH A BEAST!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 09:12:15 PM »
You don't necessarily have to have the message appear in the chat box. You could have it just appear over battlers head. I don't think people that are out of distance of the battle, or even close but not able to see the player, will care if someone is battling.

**EDIT: I also have another idea. When people go into battle, there player and whatever else they are fighting, should disappear also. I played the game "Dofus" for a little bit and when battling a monster, the player would disappear.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 10:34:30 PM by Impwadman »

Offline Mr_Dark

• PU God
  • Administrator
  • Senior Trainer
  • QQ
    • View Profile
    • Dark Productions
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 11:30:15 PM »
**EDIT: I also have another idea. When people go into battle, there player and whatever else they are fighting, should disappear also. I played the game "Dofus" for a little bit and when battling a monster, the player would disappear.

No, players will stay visible while in battle.

Offline Dellancher

• Beginning Trainer
  • jakals in the courtyard
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 11:44:32 PM »
Sprites would be awsome as long as they would be like ghosts and possible to move through.  An idea I have pondered though was in tournaments it would be cool if you could go into maybe an actual stadium and sit and watch people battle.  It would be like in the anime and I think it would be a great feature.  Just a thought...
i never sleep, because sleep is the cousin of death

--nasty nas in yo' area

don't be humble, you're not that great

Offline Phosphorous

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 03:02:49 AM »
Sprites would be awsome as long as they would be like ghosts and possible to move through.  An idea I have pondered though was in tournaments it would be cool if you could go into maybe an actual stadium and sit and watch people battle.  It would be like in the anime and I think it would be a great feature.  Just a thought...

I think that would be cool for a huge tournament only. I think I read somewhere that you would be able to see others battles if you wanted to, but that that wouldn't be in the game till later.

But for the whole stadium thing, like I said before that'd be cool for some crazy huge tournament IF the people actually wanted to watch. Maybe theyd learn a trick or two from the better players in PU when it comes out.

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 03:45:47 PM »

Might be nice indeed. It also might cause the chat to flood when there are lots of people playing near each other.

Yes, that's the problem. I don't know yet how the chat will work exactly.

I think there should be something like two features if what I suggested is implemented. One, the chating will only be in the message box and 'battle messages' will only appear above the player's head.

Offline Mr_Dark

• PU God
  • Administrator
  • Senior Trainer
  • QQ
    • View Profile
    • Dark Productions
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 03:53:42 PM »
Let me re-quote myself + addition:

Might be nice indeed. It also might cause the chat to flood when there are lots of people playing near each other. Even if the message is only shows above the players head

Offline Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Trainer
  • Busy busy busy again
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 04:13:01 PM »
Oh, ok.

Hmm, since I really want something like this to be possible, I have another idea:

The 'outside' player will have to 'talk' to the battling trainer(s) to see the messages. So, only a few players will see it at a time.

Also, to avoid chat flooding, a player should be next to a player to be able to talk to him/her, and not far away.