* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

2023 Check in by Gawerty
[March 28, 2023, 12:41:12 AM]

Holy crap my login worked. by Ez
[December 03, 2020, 08:56:26 AM]

Been a while. by Bing
[July 13, 2019, 04:47:06 AM]

Was Feeling Nostalgic (Pokemon Knights) by Monzta
[October 24, 2018, 07:37:00 AM]

Old Habits Die Hard by Miss Wednesday
[January 23, 2018, 12:35:35 AM]

WHY IS EVERYONE MISSING by Tickles
[September 16, 2017, 08:20:25 PM]

Been a long time. by Monzta
[August 27, 2017, 03:18:58 PM]

Pokemon Universe Tribute Thread by Jerry
[September 29, 2016, 06:41:31 PM]

Author Topic: STOP SOPA/PIPA  (Read 50691 times)

Offline Mr_Dark

• PU God
  • Administrator
  • Senior Trainer
  • QQ
    • View Profile
    • Dark Productions
STOP SOPA/PIPA
« on: January 18, 2012, 11:46:49 AM »
Trainers,

We’re not usually inclined to comment on politics. We’re a group of fans who like Pokemon games, and making/playing games is just a whole lot more fun.

Called the "Stop Online Piracy Act" (SOPA) in the House of Representatives and the "PROTECT IP Act" (PIPA) in the Senate, these bills are a misguided attempt to curb the illegal piracy of copyrighted content (like movies, music and games). Preventing piracy of copyrighted content is a laudable goal.

However, SOPA/PIPA goes far beyond simply addressing piracy. This proposed legislation actually threatens any website that features user-generated content. In effect, any copyright holder could file a claim that a website is hosting unauthorized content (such as the pokeballs in our logo, the "Pokemon" name anywhere on our website or maybe even the image you have as your avatar). Under the law, ad networks, payment providers and internet service providers are now potentially liable for their user’s infringement. These services could then be compelled to immediately remove these items from the website or face a costly legal battle – at a minimum cutting off financial means, and likely shutting off the site and project entirely.

How would SOPA/PIPA impact Pokemon Universe?
Since the Pokemon Universe project has always been in the dark zone looking at the usage of copyrighted content, there was always the possibility of us getting shutdown by Nintendo/GameFreak. We tried to minimize this chance as much as possible by creating original content instead of using ripped content from the original Pokemon games.
Due to SOPA/PIPA all our effort will to go waste because in the end we're still using the "Pokemon" name and individual Pokemon names, so there's a high possibility we will get cease and desist and have to stop the project.

You live in Europe, why do you care about some piracy act in the USA!
It's true that the SOPA/PIPA doesn't affect us right away. But in time our goverments will follow the example set in the USA and we will get our own SOPA/PIPA.
Furthermore, about 50% of our userbase is from the USA, so it's likly we want to host game servers in America. But with the SOPA/PIPA this will not be possible.

What can I do to prevent this?
Congress will reconvene at the end of January, and with a long roster of supporters on both sides of the aisle, SOPA/PIPA could actually pass. The likelihood is so great that technology giants including Google, Amazon, Facebook and Twitter have gone so far as to publicly consider a simultaneous blackout in protest.

The Pokemon Universe project is opposed to SOPA/PIPA in their present form. While we do support efforts to prevent online piracy, the current form of this legislation comes at far too high a cost for us, our players, and online communities across the internet.

Help us take a stand. Write your congressperson today and voice your opposition to this misguided and harmful legislation:
http://americancensorship.org/
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 11:50:53 AM by Mr_Dark »
IRC: #pokemon-universe @ Rizon.net

!!PRIVATE MESSAGES WITHOUT A SUBJECT WILL NOT BE READ!!

Quote from: Frenchfry545
That settles it. I'm starting a new religion. It's called "Misterdarkism".

Offline TheSolx

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
    • My dA page
Re: STOP SOPA/PIPA
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 11:56:28 AM »

Offline Arctus

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 12:10:51 PM »
Lest hope that it doesn't pass, or if it does that its modified to a better undrestanding, but i mainly hope that PU will be safe.

P.S I heard about the internet blackout but i thought it was fake, how strange.

Offline Chad29

• Good Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 04:17:57 PM »
Angry Joe from That Guy with the Glasses made a video saying they're making progress with the bill, getting politicians to remove the worst things and edit it to make it better. So it's a good sign.

Offline Bryan

• Lead Pixel Artist
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 04:32:28 PM »
Yea, this is just complete nonsense. I'll be contacting someone today on this note.
Deviant Art
Bryan-Mashaney
Check out the link above, for art updates on Pokemon Universe!

Contacts:
Email - [email protected]
Skype - Mashaney

Offline Tristan

• Normal Trainer
  • If I was a pie, I'd be a good pie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 04:42:28 PM »
I've actually met my congressman, and the man is an idiot. He literally said to me that he trusts in whatever decisions the President makes, regardless if that means doing something unconstitutional. Wish me luck on convincing this guy...

Offline Reafer

• Normal Trainer
  • Gents Dandy Cookies Association
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 04:43:58 PM »
Sucks to not possibly being able to play PU before it even comes out. But I went to the link and filled out one of the forms.
I love Turtles!
For I am the Turtle God!!!

Offline Bryan

• Lead Pixel Artist
  • Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 05:45:25 PM »
I've actually met my congressman, and the man is an idiot. He literally said to me that he trusts in whatever decisions the President makes, regardless if that means doing something unconstitutional. Wish me luck on convincing this guy...

Well someone mentioned that President Obama believes this is a stupid bill. So hopefully Tristan, you'll have an easy discussion. Unless your congressman is just lazy, then your out of luck. Lol.
Deviant Art
Bryan-Mashaney
Check out the link above, for art updates on Pokemon Universe!

Contacts:
Email - [email protected]
Skype - Mashaney

Offline Yume Tsuki

• Pixel Artist
  • Administrator
  • Good Trainer
  • (/ ゚ヮ゚)/彡 ┻━┻
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art page
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 05:56:00 PM »
I'd rather see the work we've done so far not to be a waste. I really have fun doing my job here as well as most contents I publish will be removed due copyright claims. (Sprites I made and still making to improve my pixelart skills, more than a 100 videos about let's plays i've been doing) This plan USA has might end up removing a lot of content from internet, and with alot, I mean heck alot. I hope they won't accept this plan.

I do admit that I hate it when people go around and pretend that stuff I created as their own is annoying. But I find it already ridiculous that when I credit openly with capital letters DISCLAIMER when something in my videos, for example audio, is't mine and people still block it out since they find it to be copyright infrigment.

Does America really think they can ban out more than half of the internet?

Claiming that someone else's marriage is against your religion is like being angry at someone for eating a doughnut because you're on a diet.

Offline Reafer

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 06:15:42 PM »
Does America really think they can ban out more than half of the internet?

Coming from an American, I can honestly say yes our Government is stupid enough to believe that they can do anything they want and the a LOT of citizens are to lazy to do anything about it.
I love Turtles!

Offline St. Jimmy

• Normal Trainer
  • "I'm doing stuff, Hershel. Thaanggss."
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 08:59:58 PM »
The American Government is going to far.  SOPA/PIPA cannot be passed.

This
And
This
If you live in the U.S. call/email your state Senators and tell them not to support it.
sup

Offline Desbear

• Soryboard Writer
  • PU Trial-Team
  • Elite Trainer
  • TRANSMISSION_FOUND
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 09:03:37 PM »
This bill better not get passed.. and if it does, were screwed.
TRANSMISSION_END

Offline Reafer

• Normal Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 09:32:01 PM »
One good thing about Americans though is that people will protest about almost anything. Sadly it doesn't end in riots :(
I love Turtles!

Offline Darkstar64

• Pre-Beta Tester
  • Good Trainer
  • They said I could be anything, so I became a snake
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 10:33:15 PM »
I found a video that pretty much sums up my thoughts on SOPA and PIPA. It pretty much explains what they are, and what you can do.

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhwuXNv8fJM&feature=g-user-lik&context=G23d68ecUCGXQYbcTJ33Yzttn0PRsQw-WPEIE-XSkNats7FYZn6hw

Offline Wrathes

• Normal Trainer
  • DO NOT DISTURB
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 10:54:46 PM »
It's truthfully dumb bill some "exotic" dumbers thought of. Regardless of being "American," ones who think of this just thinks too much to the extreme. =/